1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NABJ President Greg Lee calls out the journalism industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Mar 7, 2013.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not our problem (as an industry).

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Would you support putting a limit on the number of non-minorities that can be hired, as a way of jump-starting efforts to achieve greater diversity and fairness?

3. Let's get real. The college students who can make up those new metrics, can discuss injuries, or talk about sports majors aren't going to newspapers. They are smarter than that.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

1) On the jobs board on this site, there are a number of jobs -- something like 19 --- posted in recent weeks. Most are in places like Macon or Lakeland or Grand Junction or Bakersfield. Is Greg Lee steering African-American candidates to these jobs, or only to the opening in Bristol? My experience -- similar to thoughts expressed above -- is that no minority journalists will apply for these jobs. Not that I blame them, but that is how I got into the business.

2) And speaking of Lee, has he brought any improvements to the sports section he has been running for a few months? I haven't seen the Sun-Sentinel lately.

5. We had a similar thread a week or so ago, so I won't repeat what I wrote then. But a few passages jumped out at me.

***There are only 37 black women working on these sports desks, a paltry 1.2 percent. How can you find the next Hill or Owens?

"Sports desks" at newspapers may very well NOT EXIST in five years. You'd think the fact that black women are more likely to avoid these dead-end, no-future jobs would be something Greg would celebrate rather than bemoan.

***Sure, there are programs such as the Sports Journalism Institute and the Chips Quinn Scholars programs that help feed the pipeline, but there are leaks in those pipes as people fall out of the industry because of a lack of development opportunities.

They "fall out" of the industry because our industry is DYING. And it's dying VERY RAPIDLY. And for the same reason that any minority candidate who can put two sentences together is on the fast-track to a job at a metro newspaper, those same minority candidates can get BETTER JOBS in industries that are growing, NOT DYING.

Sorry for the blunt talk, but I can't people this person actually works in the newspaper business. It's like he inhabits a different world than the one I'm living in.

6. Off topic: Soledad O'Brien is black??

7. Untitled

Untitled New Member

What's a "sports desk?" ???

8. printit

printit Member

This same discussion comes up in other fields where entry level pay is low and the desire for diversity is present (teaching, law) and others. Basically, there are a small number of minority applicants. If people value diversity, this works to the benefit of those few applicants, as the diversity becomes a commodity like any skill set or thing of value, and they get a good paying job. This puts the small town newspaper/county prosecutors office/rural middle school in a bind....if you want a diverse workforce, should you be willing to pay for it? Should you pay a black journalist/teacher/lawyer more because he/she is a black journalist/teacher/lawyer? If no, good luck with diversity.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Her mom is black and Cuban.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know of a couple who minorities have applied for jobs in places such as Lakeland and Grand Junction. They were well qualified and didn't receive a nibble. Why is something I can't answer but minorities are applying for less than glamorous positions.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure why I am wading into this. I am not a newspaper person and from what I know about newspapers, nothing about them looks very pretty.

But people are touching on something that seems central to this. Wouldn't the fundamental question be, "Is there a lack of diversity in editorial jobs because there is a concerted effort NOT to hire minorities?" If that is the case, you have a problem. There is a huge problem if there are tons of blacks, women, hispanics, etc. who are itching to work in sports journalism and they are being frozen out.

But if what we are talking about is a small number of minorities even interested in, and qualified for, these jobs, it's not exactly the same problem. At least in my estimation.

I don't know if it is either of those, or something in between. But there seems to be some suggestion here that in a push for diversity, you have people ready to hire having to look for needles in haystacks to even consider minority candidates for a lot of jobs. Is that really the case?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No.

Draft saved Draft deleted