1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NAACP leader outed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What gave her away? Excessive tanning bed usage?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It must have been a bitch to maintain her hair.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I find Jenner to be a profound narcissist with issues beyond gender identity, but, I don't doubt the struggle there. It appears real, decades-long, and most of all a matter still weighing on Jenner, who, in my opinion, has been led through a bizarre, always-being-watched universe with the Kardashians.

You watch the last 30 seconds of that TV interview - when Rachel Dolezal realizes that someone is going to cut through her BS and flat-out confront her - and the only struggle present there is how she's getting the hell out of the interview.

Dolezal doesn't "identify" as black. She's passed herself off as it for public position and local prominence, passively relying on others as blood family when they're not. "Yep, that's my dad."

If Jenner had said "I'm a woman, and here's the daughter I delivered out of my womb," that'd be a little more like Dolezal's done.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that's right, Alma.

In the abstract, is it possible for a white person to legitimately self-identify as black? (Or vice versa.)

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

It doesn't say you have to be one, only that you support the advancement.

She's lying less than Steve Kerr, though more than the NYT student-loan-shirker.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's only a movie, but Imitation of Life showed the one girl's struggle with her identity because she was bi-racial. And that was back in the 50s, when skin color wasn't just a matter of identity, but how you might be treated legally by some societies.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She didn't choose to support the advancement as a white person. She chose to try to pass herself off as black. What the NAACP does, or whether they would have hired her as a white person who supports advancement (would they have?). ... has zero to do with the silliness of her pretending she's black and working at the NAACP.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The struggle of the middle child, laid bare.

britwrit likes this.
  9. LongTimeListener

Dude, you have to learn to take a fucking joke.

Songbird likes this.
  10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I had a teammate in college who seemed to believe he was truly Jamaican even though he was a white guy from a small Midwestern town.

11. LongTimeListener

I went to college with a woman that, honestly, when I read what happened here with the NAACP I thought it was going to be her.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I actually thought you were being serious. It's the fallout from all the ridiculous posts you meant seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted