1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N.Y. Times: Three New York Moguls in Talks to Buy Newsday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Mar 20, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I buy it out of habit, PHINJ. It's depressing though.

Good point on Newsday.com. They've got some interesting web-only content on the sports side, particularly Neil Best's Watchdog BLOG!!! (Hi Neil. We know you lurk, I saw the SportsJournalists.com link on the blog. Keep up the good work) And more and more of the Sunday section is heading online only.

If the powers that be were smart, they'd pour a lot of money into that side of things. There's no way to properly cover the entire Island on their skeletal staff, but I'd imagine they could become a viable force if they proved reliable re: breaking news. But that requires money, and Tribune ain't spending.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

This might be better than the quote I just put in my sig.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There will be job losses, probably many, no matter which party prevails because the winner will typically overpay and immediately move to recoup purchase costs (see Philadelphia). The cuts would likely be more massive if its bought by Murdoch or Zuckerman because they'll also want to shed redundant business-side operations, like accounting departments, etc.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Would Dolan merge the paper with News 12 Long Island?

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I don't know if this is necessarily true if Murdoch gets it. I may have missed something but I don't think he's eliminated positions at the WSJ. Murdoch doesn't do layoffs. You cannot say that the man slashes jobs for the sake of his bottom line or that he doesn't invest in newspapers.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

I thought I read someplace that this may be an auction, not a sale.
    That might change things a bit.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Good point.

Jimmy Breslin weighs in via Jeff Bercovici:

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've always been a Breslin fan but, let's face it, it's was time for him to walk away at least 15 years ago. He overlooks that the bidding will drive the price pretty high in a declining newspaper market and bring about staff cuts no matter who takes over. Maybe even his copyreader.

Draft saved Draft deleted