1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N.Y. Times: Let's get rid of the states

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 11, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, they redrew Princeton from blue to red a few years ago so anything is possible.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No one does the "Solution in Search of a Problem" piece like the NYT.

dixiehack, expendable, Batman and 2 others like this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We can't even get rid of the Electoral College, when it gives us a different winner than the popular vote. The 50 states aren't going away.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Countries a lot smaller in size and more homogeneous and smaller in population (France and Germany to name two) have political subdivisions which provide much of government. It's too damn much trouble to change the states just to create their equivalent.

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I hope there are few corporate tax lawyers who still think the best structure for minimizing taxes is the use of a Delaware holding company. (I am a corporate tax lawyer and worked at a consulting firm during the DHC heyday).

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This clause illustrating my point. Any state whose only distinguishing feature is its use as corporate tool to evade taxes is one whose people do not deserve wildly disproportionate representation in the U.S. Senate.

Delaware is a blight on our nation's map. Let it be the first to be eliminated.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think you just made Jeff Pearlman mad.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Delaware has a very sophisticated bar and judicial system that provides the uniformity that the federal government cannot.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind my state going bye-bye if it meant doing away with some of the archaic bans we have.

Can't grow currants or gooseberries or buy milk straight from the cow in my state.

But you can across the state border a few miles down the road.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Like I said in the golf thread: Get rid of Electoral College and SEC schools will have to scramble to fill their OOC schedules.

Delaware raises one question I've always had. Why do we need three states governing the same peninsula?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How did something nearly a month old pop up on your radar today, Batman?

Draft saved Draft deleted