1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N.Y. Post Fact Checkers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txsportsscribe, Sep 23, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Is the N.Y. Post as bad as this little tidbit written by Cindy Adams? I know times are rough but do they not have one fact-checker anywhere in the building?

GEORGE W. Bush, soon to be former president of the United States of America, ex-commander in chief of the Armed Forces, prior leader of the free world, is not leaving immortality to go back to the cowflop of Crawford, Texas. Although he might still keep that ranch because after his years in the Oval Office he may be addicted to manure, I know for a 100 percent fact it's not where he permanently plans to hang his signed photos.

In four months Mr. and Mrs. Bush move to a town outside Dallas called Preston Hollow, one of the wealthiest areas in the oil-rich state of Texas. Houses come with horse stables, lake views, mountain views, golf club views. Kiddies, mother is telling you do not cry for Argentina - or Dubya. He's not going from the White House to any cockamamie cramped two-bedroom apartment with hot- and cold-running mortgages. Laura does not beat around the Bushes. She's been to their new home, checked it out, and it's a big house on five acres. Their broker is the Lone Star State's premier Realtor Allie Beth Allman. George and Laura are going top cabin all the way.

So far this is - or was - top secret around Dallas.

What's top secret, I guess to Adams, is that Preston Hollow is a subdivision within the Dallas city limits and you won't find horse stables and golf club views there, much less lake views and mountian views. The mountain views is the funniest part considering you'd need to go either about 400-500 miles to the Davis Mountains in Big Bend or about 200 miles to the Ozark Mountains in SE Oklahoma.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think newspapers have fact checkers or proofers anymore. I could be wrong.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

They were all snatched up by the presidential campaigns.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The Post fact-checkers are there to make sure all the facts are removed.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

She probably did what most unknowing reporters do — went to wikipedia and got led astray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_Hollow

If you read farther down, you'll see that Preston Hollow was annexed by Dallas in 1945.

However, Preston Hollow Country Club does exist.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . not to mention that the basic premise . . . that Laura was taking W by the nose and dragging him to Dallas, after January . . . has been known for quite a while.

She shouldn't have led with it. Looks really bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted