1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N.Y. Chapter of N.O.W. blasts Kennedy's betrayal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 29, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

She didn't make that claim.

She said there ARE people out there who are making misogynistic comments about Clinton's candidacy based on her gender, and she backed it up with examples of that.

She didn't say everyone who doesn't want to vote for Hillary is misogynistic. In fact, she said exactly the opposite.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought Dubya would be the most divisive president in my lifetime.
    I'm wrong. Either Obama or Clinton would, for the simple reason that the same fears/stereotypes Bush played on to divide the Republicans and Democrats are at work by those two -- and we're not out of January yet.
    God, I wish there was another option that stood a chance of getting nominated.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You are incorrectly paraphrasing me. I have never said that those who oppose Hillary must hate women. I have never pointed the "cause and effect" finger. Again, I personally oppose Hillary and I certainly don't hate women.

There was nothing, nothing in those examples that spoke to the issues or the candidate's experience. There are many reasons to like or dislike any given candidate in this election. But I've seen a lot of vile stuff regarding Hillary simply because she is female. That, in my book, qualifies as sexism.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

OK, everyone who heard me suggest that those who oppose Hillary are only motivated by sexism, raise your hand.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Uhh, read it again:

She's not talking about everyone who disagrees with Clinton, so I don't know why you keep claiming she is. She's talking about the examples she cited.

"Not much of this [i.e., the Matthews/Fox/NYT/527 comments above] has to do with "I disagree with Clinton's health care policy" or "I think Obama is a better candidate for reasons X and Z." It's [i.e., the Matthews/Fox/NYT/527 comments above] just bitter, hateful sexism."

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You're right, I misread that line, maybe its the dyslexia kicking in again. I have shamed myself and will delete that part of my earlier post.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

1. Hillary's had her critics in the media, but by and large, she's had the most positive, fawning press of any candidate on either side.

2. And to repeat: she and her supporters are pissed because the nomination was supposed to be a formality. And they're pissed that someone capable like Obama has interrupted her coronation.

8. Holy Christ, is this wrong.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Think there's a measure of truth to #2, but she's a pro, so she'll deal with it, and move on.

Don't believe #1 has been true for a good while, especially since the broad media has been essentially charmed by BO's speaking skills and impressive ability to think on his feet.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I still feel a little resentful the way Bill Clinton lied to his family and the country regarding the Lewinsky thing. I figured it was more GOP bs until he came clean (pardon the pun). I still think he was a great President, but you can't just forget what happened.
    I don't know if Hillary will be able to "win" votes from Obama. She seems to have her backers who have always been with her, but has a hard time asking people to support her. She's telling people to remember the 1990s in a way that sounds like a GOP "let's turn the clock back to the 1950s" deal.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Of the many Clinton Scandals of the 90's one of my favorites was the "lost billing records" that suddenly reappeared a week after the statuate of limitations expired.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980DE4D81239F935A35752C0A960958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

Elusive Papers of Law Firm Are Found at White House
    By STEPHEN LABATON
    After nearly two years of searches and subpoenas, the White House said this evening that it had unexpectedly discovered copies of missing documents from Hillary Rodham Clinton's law firm that describe her work for a failing savings and loan association in the 1980's.

Federal and Congressional investigators have issued subpoenas for the documents since 1994, and the White House has said it did not have them. The originals disappeared from the Rose Law Firm, in which Mrs. Clinton was a partner, shortly before Mr. Clinton took office.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

#11 is wrong. She's a distant third after Obama (big gap) & McCain. That will change the day it becomes clear that she has the nomination (if it gets there).

Draft saved Draft deleted