1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N.Y. Chapter of N.O.W. blasts Kennedy's betrayal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 29, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Forgive my fail.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Zeke was using symbolism. Or rather, he clicked the image icon instead of the url one...
    here

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's it, symbolism!

SC just didn't understand, because she's a silly girl!

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I wonder what the reaction of the those white "progressive" men in the Democratic party will be when, at the inaugural ball, Obama and his friends ask, "Do you mind if we dance with your dates?"

5. There is a great deal of it but I think this bucket will suffice.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Are you fucking kidding me?

What about a new 527 group "To educate the American public about what Hillary Clinton really is"? Their name: Citizens United Not Timid. Read the acronym. And apparently the only thing they do to "educate" is sell t-shirts with their logo.

Here's an example of the type of "letters to the editor" that have been showing up in papers throughout the country lately. Notice he makes the case against any female president, not just Clinton:
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01/27/opinion/letters/1_26_088_57_01.txt

What about the disrespect shown by MSNBC's Chris Matthews:
    http://mediamatters.org/items/200801110002

Of course, Fox News is having a field day in this department:
    But it's not just the extreme psychos at Fox who are touting this stuff. It's the New York Times, too:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/us/politics/26clinton.html?_r=2&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Notice that not much of this has to do with "I disagree with Clinton's health care policy" or "I think Obama is a better candidate for reasons X and Z." It's just bitter, hateful sexism. I realize Obama's campaign has endured a lot of the same in terms of racism; there are those intent on "outing" him as a closet Muslim and their tactics are also deplorable.

I don't know how else I can say it: Hillary is not my candidate. I will not be voting for her in the primaries. And I'm pretty sure I'm not a misogynist, so it's not that those who are not for Clinton hate all women.

* Thanks to one of my <a href="http://www.feministing.com">favorite websites</a> for help with the examples.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You don't say ... ;)

Nice smackdown. Bravo. [/insert crowdapplauding.gif here)

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think one of the biggest problems with the Clinton campaign is that it appears that they have been very protective of her with regard to press access. I've heard several reporters on the trail say they don't have much access to her, while those covering Obama haven't been complaining about access.
    When you are running for President, the media can make you or break you. But Clinton's stinginess with media access is hurting her.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

See, that's a legitimate reason to not like the candidate, because you fear too much control by the handlers. Shades of Karl Rove.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oddly, Bush was very accessible with the media during the 2000 campaign. Check out the doc done by a Pelosi kid "Journeys With George." I watch him buddying up to the press and mutter to myself.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Fixed -- fully mindful of the gender ramifications at stake. ;)

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Thank you for the comprehensive reply, most of this stuff I'd not seen before. However, I might point out a couple flaws in your reasoning:

1) The C-U-_ _ group you quoted is one I've never heard of before and I'd venture 99% of the American public also knows nothing about. I assume its just some tiny fringe group of lunatics with no real influence. And its hardly "astounding" that there's at least one irrelevant fringe group of lunatics that dislikes Hillary b/c she's a woman, just as I'm sure there's some nutbag group that dislikes Romney cuz he's a Mormon or Obama because of his race or muslim sounding name. Hell, you can find at least one lunatic fringe group that believes just about anything. That junk's not astounding at all, and that group will have no impact on the outcome of this election.

Admittedly, the cited Chris Mathews, Fox, and NYT quotes do have misogynistic undertones, but those represent quotes selectively parcelled out from countless thousands of hours of coverage and words written and spoken about Hillary in this campaign (and anything by Fox News is inherently suspect anyways because its, well, Fox News). To say the level of misogyny is "astounding" by ignoring 99.99% of the coverage and focusing on just 3 or 4 lines is hardly fair.

Draft saved Draft deleted