1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N. Korea threatens U.S. with 'nuclear war'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Have the "hawks" in the Israeli government been calling for driving all the Muslims into the sea anytime lately?

As far as N. Korea is concerned, Kim Jong Il is crazy, but I don't think he's so crazy he can't figure out the simple equation:

One NK missile launched in the direction of Alaska, Hawaii, the Pacific NW or any other territory of the United States = About 5,000 US missiles launched at North Korea.

Yeah, they might take out Anchorage, but before the smoke settled, there wouldn't be anything left from border to border of North Korea any bigger than a bottle cap.

2. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

Double J - Being a hawk in a country that has been under attack since it opened shop isn't the equivalent to being a lunatic such as Lil Kim.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That's just it. Kim Jong-Il probably wouldn't care two shits about where the missle would land. It hit California? Yippee! Alaska? Hey, not bad! Hawaii? Groovy! The middle of the Pacific? Oh well, we'll try again someday.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

What part of "no one side over there is any better than the other" do you not understand? Did I say the Arabs are right and the Jews are wrong? No, I didn't. How does that make me anti-Semitic?

Ah, what's the point? I should know from experience that you'll just read whatever you want into anything you see or hear, despite what's actually being said.

Agreed.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Seems to me the NK threat is the worst America's faced in years. Even worse than the one posed by Al Queda.

Kim is bat-shit crazy. He's the wacky old man in the ramshackle house down at the end of the street who suddenly one Halloween goes apeshit and starts shooting trick or treaters. Only Kim has nukes and not a pistol, and the trick-or-treaters would be known as Japan or Alaska.

Why the American public can't see that is beyond me. And why the Democrats aren't taking the lead and demanding military action immediately is also ridiculous.

If there's one thing I think swe hould have learned from 9/11 is that you should take pyschopathic world leaders at their world. OBL had said for years he wanted to attack us and he did. Now Kim is doing the same. If we give him that chance, the world will never be the same again.

In the immortal words of former Secretary of State Albright, why do we spend so much on our military if we're not willing to use it in circumstances such as these?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Alright Tiger, you're the president.

Your military is in the middle of its average third tour of duty in Iraq because of a war you ordered. There are no more National Guard and Reserves for you to call up; that option has been tapped out. A draft is out of the question; the American public won't go for it and Congress knows it.

And you can't use a nuke first. Oh no no no. Japan would shit a cow if any fallout drifted east. They ain't having none of that.

So who do you invade North Korea with??

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Exactly. The old theory of mutually assured destruction.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I see you two haven't learned from the world's experiences the last few years. Applying Western, rational logic to irrational people is foolhardy at best and dangerous at worse. Just as you can't apply the rationale of MAD to radical Islamic warriors who are readily willing to kill themselves, nor can you apply it to a madman who has his followers smashed into submission like Kim does. NK is a madhouse, and yet you want to use calm reasoning to deal with it. To use a local example, cops can only negotiate with the meth-using crackpot who is holding a knife to his wife's throat for so long; eventually, they usually end up shooting him.

As for Football Bat's request for what President TV would do, it's pretty simple. He'd wait until Kim holds his next big rally (which occurs about once a month) and then have our special forces drop in and say hello. I'd be willing to lose a few hundred special forces troops if it means killing Kim. I bet the Pentagon would to.

Short of that, I'd show off just how effective a killer the F/A 22 Raptor can really be.

You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet, Football.

Oh, and then President TV would ban the DH, and declare the Monday after the Super Bowl a national holiday.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Agree. This makes me more than a little nervous. Time to start pulling troops out of Iraq and sending them to Team America's biggest enemy.

10. Of course, there already are about 30,000 American troops just over the North Korean border and have been for decades, which I'm sure you knew.

I think it's funny how a lot of the same people who say we should have continued negotiating with Saddam think we should just barge williy-nilly into NK. With China, SK and Russia right next door, and with Japan a stone's throw away. Considering all that, firn, multi-lateral negotiations, with no BS, should be given every opportunity to succeed.

Of course, this would be a nuanced foreign policy, and for years the Bush-haters have been screaming that he doesn't have it. Of course, he's trying it here, but those same people are screaming that he should bomb NK back to the stone age. Oh, well. Bush Derangement Syndrome is a tough disease to conquer.

I do think Kim is crazy, but he isn't stupid. He knows if he tried anything at all, he'd get it back about 100 times worse.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, the same could have been said for Saddam, who hadn't "tried anything" in more than a dozen years for the same reason.

But when an administration's mind is make up . . .

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

"How come we didn't cross the 38th parallel and push those rice-eaters back to the Great Wall of China? Then take the fucking wall apart brick by brick and nuke them back into the fucking stone age forever? Tell me why!! How come?! Say it!! SAY IT!!"

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted