1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N. Korea threatens U.S. with 'nuclear war'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 3, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I also know that part of the equation is that there's a certain number of players in the game and none of those players want more company, but is it worth possibly going to war over it? What's the danger of another nuclear power versus the threats and near war over keeping said country from having said power? I sure as hell hope the war part is worth more than the implied danger part.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Kim Jong-Il is one of those looney people who will wake up one morning and say, "Ya know? I feel like nuking California today. Let's see what happens ..."

Yet, Saddam was the bigger threat, right?

3. Funny, I thought Clinton took care of North Korea.

BTW, the moral equivalency argment here is ridiculous.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Very simple answer: We had 'em first, or, well, pretty close to first. We loaded up, we got all the right toys and we hold the ultimate trump card. We say you can't have 'em, you can't have 'em, because we hold the ability to wipe your country completely off the map before you're able to attach that warhead to a missle capable of touching this country. That's one hell of an upper hand and a load of power.

Had we been somewhat overbearing and crazy with this power, I don't think we would've deterred nearly as many efforts by these nutjob countries to build these things. But we haven't. We've been able, for the most part, to talk other countries out of building these bombs by promising them good shit in return. If memory serves, N. Korea is/was getting a shitload of free money from us for staying out of the nuclear game.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Do the North Koreans even have the ability to reach the mainland U.S., or even Hawaii? They would need an ICBM for that, and unless I've missed something, they don't have that yet.

Of course, North Korea is allies with China, which does have such capabilities.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

For the love of God, lyman, do we really need to go through this shit again? That timeline of the N. Korea nuclear problems has been posted at least five times on five different threads.

It shows the same thing every time. (Insert president's name) talks to this wacko running that country, he promises not to build the bombs in exchange for some good shit from us. A couple years later, he wants more good shit and he goes back to the well. Repeat that about 10 times now. This is, of course, as advanced as he's gone, which, I suppose, could be an indication of the Fredo administration's pitiful foreign policy work. But I really don't think that anyone, other than yourself, of course, is blaming either side for this. It's been going on a long time now.

I know it's asking a lot, but pick a history book sometime. Or hell, run a Google search on this shit. Not that hard -- it's really not.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's not a reach to think they could reach Alaska, which wouldn't exactly help the domestic oil industry. And Washington state, Oregon and NoCal might be in range also.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Looks like just Alaska, not anything in the lower 48.

[​IMG]

9. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Since they are such padnuhs with the Raghead Idiots in the Middle East now, that might more correct than you wish.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm going to have to sleep that one off.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

That was an exaggeration on my part, but it's really not a stretch to believe there are as many hardliners or hawks (is that PC enough for everyone?) in Israel's government as there are in any single Arab government or reasonable facsimile (PLO). No one side over there is any better than the other.

12. I'm well aware of the timeline, dog, I just sensed this was about to be used as another club with which to bash Bush some more.

And it appears JJ is showing his anti-Semitic colors (or is that colours?) yet again. Nice to see Marge Schott apparently deeded him the swastika armband in her will.

Draft saved Draft deleted