1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N. Korea threatens U.S. with 'nuclear war'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 3, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Happy July 4th, everybody! :)

N. Korea threatens U.S. with 'nuclear war'
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/07/03/north.korea.ap/index.html
    Monday, July 3, 2006; Posted: 12:37 p.m. EDT (16:37 GMT)
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- North Korea would respond to a pre-emptive U.S. military attack with an "annihilating strike and a nuclear war," the state-run media said Monday, heightening anti-U.S. rhetoric amid close scrutiny of its missile program.

The Korean Central News Agency, citing an unidentified Rodong Sinmun newspaper "analyst," accused the United States of increasing military pressure on the isolated communist state and basing new spy planes on the Korean Peninsula.

The North Korean threat of retaliation, which is often voiced by its state-controlled media, comes amid U.S. official reports that Pyongyang has shown signs of preparing for a test of a long-range missile. North Korea claims it has the right to such a launch.

On Friday, Pyongyang accused the United States of driving the situation on the Korean Peninsula "to the brink of war," and said it is fully prepared to counter any U.S. aggression.

Monday's report accused Washington of escalating military pressure on the country with war exercises, a massive arms buildup and aerial espionage by basing new spy planes in South Korea.

"This is a grave military provocation and blackmail to the DPRK, being an indication that the U.S. is rapidly pushing ahead in various fields with the extremely dangerous war moves," the dispatch said.

"The army and people of the DPRK are now in full preparedness to answer a pre-emptive attack with a relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear war with a mighty nuclear deterrent," the report said.

DPRK stands for the North's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

White House spokesman Tony Snow refused to respond to what he called "a hypothetical situation."

"It is a statement about what may happen if something that hasn't happened happened, if you follow my drift," he said.

North Korea routinely accuses the U.S. of aerial espionage, issuing a tally of such flights at the end of every month. The U.S. military doesn't comment, although it acknowledges monitoring North Korean military activity.

Washington and Japan have said in recent weeks that spy satellite images show North Korea has taken steps to prepare a long-range Taepodong-2 missile for a test-launch.

Estimates for the range of the missile vary widely, but at least one U.S. study said it could be able to reach parts of the United States with a light payload.

Speculation that Pyongyang could fire the missile has waned in recent days since the country's top ally and a major source of its energy supplies, China, reportedly urged North Korea not to go ahead with the test.

Meanwhile, a South Korean government official said Seoul is considering buying U.S. shipborne SM-2 missiles to bolster its missile-defense system.

The move is the latest by South Korea and Japan to strengthen their defenses amid signs of the North Korean missile test. Seoul announced last week the purchase of Patriot interceptor missiles from Germany.

SM-2 missiles, however, are reportedly effective against cruise missiles and at striking aircraft but would not be able to hit a long-range missile.

"I understand that we have requested information" on the missiles for purchase, said Park Sung-soo, an official at the Defense Acquisition Program Administration, without elaborating.

The U.S. Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress of the possible sale last week, according to its Web site. The order would be for 48 SM-2 Block IIIB tactical standard missiles and associated equipment and training.

The agency estimated the cost at $111 million.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Depending on what they target, this might not be such a bad thing [/sarcasm]

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No, Bristol is on the east coast. Their missiles wouldn't make it that far.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Please don't take this as me siding with the Koreans or against the U.S., but I've long wondered ...

What gives us the right to dictate to another country whether or not they can develop or test nuclear weapons? I understand the argument that we don't want power-hungry or crazy leaders to have access to nukes -- believe me, I don't want Iran or Korea to have them -- but how does that give us the right to say, "We can have them, but you can't"?

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Mayby they dont want nuclear missles to be in the hands of an alcoholic ex-cocaine user that has shown questionable judgement in starting previous fights?And really, who can blame them?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Boy am I glad we spent the last five years on Iraq.

7. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Well, Iran is next on the list. Maybe we can put N. Korea in the hole, so to speak.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I agree wholeheartedly, AA. North Korea just wants to play like everyone else.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've always wondered that too. It's especially puzzling when you consider Israel is allowed to have nukes -- there are probably more murderous lunatics in that country's government at any given moment than there are in every Arab country on the planet combined.

10. ...and now it begins...

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And now what begins? They make perfect sense to me.

12. House

House Guest

My brother is an Army tank driver in Korea right now. Saying things are a bit crazy over there. Can't leave the base and lots of sudden training exercises, so not much time to call or e-mail.

Draft saved Draft deleted