1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N. Korea Hypothetical

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by e4, Oct 12, 2006.

1. e4

e4 Member

I'm just pulling this from my imagination, but I wonder...

How likely is it that North Korea is working in concert with China, i.e., what are the chances that China, while saying it condemns NK's pursuit of nuclear weapons, is really helping NK to acquire these weapons, or at least present the image that they have this technology.

If I'm China, I don't see a better chance than the current international landscape to draw the United States into war, which very well could become WW3. All the elements would be in China's favor: Hatred for the U.S. is at an all-time high, our military is scattered and fighting a "war" they'll most likely never win (at least not in the traditional sense), and our foreign policy is unpredictable, as are other possible threats of military escalation, such as invading Iran. In the broadest terms, we lack direction and focus, not to mention credibility.

I agree that no one, China included, wants KIM JONG IDIOT to have weapons of mass destruction. But what are the odds that this is all a charade, a cloak-and-dagger scheme to draw America into something it probably can't handle, or hoping for another misstep that will eventually lead to that conclusion, thus making China the world's super power?

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

N.Korea obtained their nuclear technology from AQ Kahn. China supplies Korea was some water and food, but little else.

They are enjoying the jabs that Kim Jong Il takes at the US, but they aren't going to provide him with weapons or anything.

Also, China has little hatred for the US. Hell, their government was pushing for Bush to be re-elected.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why would China want war with the US?

It could cripple us economically easier than with bombs and bullets.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

China IN NO WAY is in cahoots with North Korea. The LAST thing they want is a nuclear North Korea. Because that means a nuclear South Korea, a nuclear Japan, and (very possibly) a nuclear Taiwan. That puts a little kink in China's plan of Asian hegemony. Which is the one step to world hegemony.

5. e4

e4 Member

I gotta stop trying to be Tom Clancy... :)

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

US bombs the shit out of North Korea = millions of North Korean refugees spilling into China.

I don't think China's interested in that.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Of course China supported Bush to be re-elected. They knew he was an idiot.

If it comes to a nuclear war, God forbid, I still think we've got nuclear superiority. Not that wiping out the Earth's population to win WW3 is a worthwhile propostion.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

If North Korea goes kablooie, it means millions of refugees heading to China and a huge headache for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted