1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N.H. Dems lambaste Clinton

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's too early for Obama, and he knows it.

I really don't want the Dems to run a senator, in any event. It typically ends very, very badly.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Gore had two things going against him...arguably the worst media coverage in the history of the world.
    The string of falsehoods that Gore was accused of, are laughable at best, and sad at worst. Yet, people to do this day still talk about how "Gore invented the Internet." Something he never claimed, but was picked up in the big media echo chamber and it still clangs around.
    And the other is Joe Lieberman. The swing votes in the country weren't ready for an orthodox Jew as a vice president. Gore was still going get those votes anyway, Jo Jo was a weight on the ticket. A person who Gore should have picked someone from the Midwest or Florida as veep.
    Just like Barack, as much as I like him, won't be president or vice-president either.
    For a black, Jew, woman and any of the other minority-type candidates, to be elected you need a war hero's background and a political record light on the national level. So no senators. A governorship is perfect.
    I think that may not apply to a Hispanic candidate though. If Cisneros hadn't gotten in trouble, he would have been a good choice as Gore's VP and maybe a presidency in '08 would have followed.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Clinton was one in a million. He had a magnetism and charisma that made people fall under his spell. It is also why people overlooked all the bad behavior. The people surrounding Clinton--his wife and Gore--do not have that going for them. What they have is the same, "poll driven, do what is politicall expedient" philosophy without the charm to win people over. In the case of Hillary, she comes across as Machiavelian. In the case of Gore, he comes off as a blowhard bore. I think either is a disaster for the democrats with one caveat.

Hillary would be running with Bill calling the shots and I never underestimate his political acumen. Gore would not. So while I think Gore would be an absolute disaster, when it comes to the Clintons I've learned to never be surprised. I thought there was no way the people of my state could be so stupid as to elect her and they did. I now know anything is possible when it comes to the Clintons, although in the case of Hillary for President I think it's where the luck runs out.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but remember there's a liberal bias in the media!!!

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This site pretty much disproves that theory. Just read some of the political threads - the majority of posters are conservative

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To be honest, I don't think the majority of the people here who would describe themselves as liberal or conservative understand what those words really mean. They've each been perverted by the political parties that say they espouse each. I'd say the majority of people here are partisans--but certainly not true liberals or conservatives.

7. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

If not her, how about David Palmer from 24 ... that dude's got some real presence.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, isn't he in that All State commercial?

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was in Manchester a few weeks ago. Great city. And who cares about this poll?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hey Dems, want some advice from the enemy? Run Warner or Vilsack. If you must go the senator route, run Bayh.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

After 20 years, I would hope the country is ready for somebody outside the Bush-Clinton connection (that includes Gore). I also hope they can see through Hillary's bullshit. Of course, after her run in New York I'm convinced the Republicans might be dumb enough to run somebody she can actually beat (maybe Jeb Bush) and she'll luck into the White House. I don't like her, don't trust her, and sure as hell wouldn't vote for her. But I would also never underestimate her.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Honey, I love you, but the preponderance of conservatives on those threads just means the liberals have moved on to other topics--running out of recipes for 'Fish ala Barrel'.....  8)

Draft saved Draft deleted