1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N.Dak. college basketball player loses leg after on-court injury

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RickStain, Nov 12, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No link yet, but it's the craziest story I've ever heard with regards to a sports injury.

Williston State College freshman basketball player Lenishka McDonald was playing in a scrimmage against Dickinson State (the college of the three softball players who died in the pond accident). She injured her knee in a collision and went to the hospital.

When she got to the hospital, they discovered that she'd severely damaged the artery behind the knee that brings blood to the bottom of the leg. Surgeries to try to fix the circulation discovered a serious blood clot and then a life-threatening infection and they ended up having to amputate the leg below the knee. She's stabilized now, but there's still a chance they may have to take more of the leg.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Re: N.D. college basketball player loses leg after on-court injury

Henceforth to be referred to as Eileen.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeesh. I do remember stories where there was talk that amputation was a possibility because of the damage, but those stories always had a good ending and surgery always prevented that from having to happen. Have never heard of it actually happening.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jesus.

Has this ever happened before? If not, I would take a long look at the hospital.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My first thought was "What Notre Dame player was it?"

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

fixed

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This also happened to a football player from San Jose State several years ago. He had part of his lower leg amputated, but actually returned and played som eon special teams.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I don't know. This is probably a pretty unusual situation. If what they found is correct, that's three potentially life-threatening situations all in one. I'm guessing there wasn't a whole lot they could do.

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Is Williston State College using the Cleveland Browns medical facility?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I figured an infection was involved. You do not want to go into a hospital for some kind of surgery and get a staph infection.

11. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Sounds like something similar to what happened to Robert Edwards, who nearly lost his leg after the injury he suffered during a rookie event at the Pro Bowl weekend several years ago. Of course, they saved his leg and he returned to the NFL after several years of rehab.

Still, what a sad story for the hoops player.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A friend of mine had part of his foot amputated because of bone cancer and returned to play basketball for a small college in Michigan before the cancer got the best of him.

Draft saved Draft deleted