1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mystery sports editor/sports reporter position

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This just showed up on the jjobs site:
    Company: Daily Newspaper
    Position: Sports Editor / Copy Editor / Page Designer /
    City Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: September 10, 2007
    Job ID: 812444

Description:
    SPORTS EDITOR

We are seeking a talented, dedicated, motivated, professional sports team to continue our tradition of award-winning local sports coverage. We are seeking a sports editor and a sports reporter. Our coverage area includes four high schools, including two of the larger ones in the state. We demand quality stories and photographs and our emphasis in on local sports. Must know AP style and have a good command of grammar. Must have experience in Quark and Photoshop, know how to use a camera, and show creative layout skills. Team players only. Our readers are passionate about local sports and we do not intend to disappoint them. We're a rapidly-growing daily in beautiful Arkansas. If you believe you have what it takes, please send a cover letter explaining why you feel that way, a resume complete with work history and personal contacts.

You have to apply online, and there are no contacts.
    Is it just me, or is this the type of ad that gives somebody the creeps?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What's the contact info?

3. That's just it, Songbird. There isn't any on the ad. You apply online on jjobs and they send it to the newspaper.
    No phone number, no e-mail, no physical address ... nothing.
    Definitely creepy.

4. Songbird

Not sure I would apply even though I'd love to know more about it because I meet all of the qualifications.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was stunned by the term "rapidly-growing daily" - words I haven't seen together in a while.

6. Georgiaguy

Georgiaguy Member

Yeah I just saw that on JJobs and was thinking it was a little strange. I think that if they can't put the name of the paper then it probably is not where you want to be.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

sounds more like somebody is about to get fired and management doesn't want him/her to know about it.

8. Songbird

Could be that Mountain Home place.

Erik Estrada should apply. He loves Arkansas.

9. I heard Mountain Home just re-hired a former sports editor -- Sonny Elliott.
    I have a feeling, given by what was said in the ad and my knowledge of Arkansas newspapers, that it's in one of these locations -- Conway, Benton, Searcy or Paragould.
    I'm tending to lean toward the latter two.

10. Songbird

Paragould. Now that has a nice ring to it. I could see myself in a place called Paragould.

Either that, or the name reminds me of my 4th grade teacher at the Hebrew Academy Lubavitch, Mrs. Gould.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think that by going to the Hebrew Academy Lubavitch that automatically disqualifies you from a job in Paragould, Arkansas.
    Just a feeling. Never been to Paragould, Arkansas, and I could be wrong.

12. Songbird

But I could teach them my 2nd-favorite childhood game, "find the afikomen."

Hey, "Perspectives" buddy, who just PM'd me, this isn't, by chance, for a paper in your town, is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.