1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mystery Novelists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by friend of the friendless, May 23, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Elmore Leonard writes almost perfect dialogue.

And although it's more from the espionage genre, John LeCarre's early stuff, particularly the Karla Trilogy which includes "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy", "The Honourable Schoolboy" and "Smiley's People" is friggin' brilliant.

2. I'm a big fan of Connelly, but really haven't gotten into the Bosch books too much. Loved "The Poet" and "The Scarecrow" ... partly because reporter Jack McEvoy is the main character in both books. The Haller books are good reads. "The Lincoln Lawyer" is definitely the place to start ... "Blood Work" is a standalone that may be my favorite Connelly book.

As for other writers, I would echo much of PCLoadLetter's list. Just finished Winslow's "Savages" in a couple of sittings. "California Fire & Life" and "Frankie Machine" were both great reads. I may tackle "Power of the Dog" next. Hiaasen is probably my favorite of the bunch. Leonard is always fun, too.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Very happy to see this thread. I always need ideas for new mystery writers.

I read a ton of Connelly, Lee Child, James Patterson (very hit and miss. Thought Cross Country (the one where Alex Cross goes to Africa) was horrible, and I had 6th Target audiobook for a road trip recently and was really dissapointed) John Sanford and Robert Crais (really wish he had more books). They're my go-to guys. I've read some Heissan, though not a lot. One or two of his books I really liked, the rest were meh, for me.
    My library classifies Tim Dorsey novels as mysteries. They're not who-done-its, but, man, I love Tim Dorsey novels.

4. danhawks

danhawks Member

Got "The Sentry" by Crais the other day, almost done. I read the Jack Reacher - Lee Child books within days of getting them. Also don't forget the Prey series about Lucas Davenport by John Sandford.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huge Connelly fan, wife is a huge John Sanford fan. I've read a couple fo his book, they are OK. Hiassen is my fave and I like Dorsey too, even through many of books seem like rewrites of Hiassen's they are still damn funny. As I mentioned earlier Ian Rankin is highly recommended too.

Draft saved Draft deleted