1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mystery listing, "The Carolinas"

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Also wouldn't be shocked if it's a test to see if a current employee is looking to get out of Dodge. Throw up a fictional ad and see if someone at your shop applies for it. It's a quick way to figure out if someone's about to walk.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Doc, I think you've got it right. What a chickenshit way to advertise a job.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The sad thing: Plenty of people have applied and will apply ... without knowing which state the Newspaper's in.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly. However dumb the potential paper is to do business in this manner, it will be outweighed by someone wanting the chance to be an SE, never mind that anyone who has the misfortune of landing this gig will be in denial that he/she could replaced in the same slimy manner.

5. Tarheel316

No question about it. But, you know, this actually could be Martinsville. This board has exposed them so many times that they can't disguise themselves in an ad anymore. If they say southeastern Virginia, it's a dead giveaway.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Martinsville already has done the quasi-anonymous ad, and it got them skewered here, too.

7. Tarheel316

Wicked, I wouldn't put it past them to do it again.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

But saying the job is in the Carolinas when it's actually in Virginia would be a new low, even for the Martinsville crew.

9. Tarheel316

Remember, we are talking about Martinsville. There isn't anything they wouldn't stoop to.

10. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I wonder how many people actually apply to these blind postings.
    My guess is quite a few.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's close to the N.C. border. Hell, they may even move a few papers in northern Rockingham County.

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Beaufort, SC?

Draft saved Draft deleted