1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mystery listing, "The Carolinas"

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Oct 17, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

When in doubt, be as vague as possible....

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=841040

Company: Newspaper
    Position: Sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: November 21, 2007
    Job ID: 841040

Description:
    Local coverage is our game and we like to win. If you have a strong work ethic and want to take on a sports editor's position loaded with potential and opportunity, contact us immediately. We are a small newspaper in a growing region. Send resume with work samples and references.

This employer only accepts online applications.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

More often than not, this is code for "We want to fire/demote our sports editor without him/her getting wind of it." I would never work for a paper that employed this tactic.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I wonder if there is a mystery chain that also owns the paper with the opening in Northern Indiana...

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sadly this happens, all the time, in the business world.

I had it happen to me in a non-journalism position, and I'm sure it's happened to others.

Doesn't make it right, and if I were the guy who took over for this blindly-axed person, I'd feel as if I had some blood on my hands.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

There are a number of papers that cover parts of both states. I would certainly hope that was the main reason for not even being specific with which state you would work in.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

"loaded with potential and opportunity" is akin to a rag that is in dire need of a shot in the arm.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

You're right Doc. I had a friend who was hired at a place with a ad similar to this, after he accepted the job, they got rid of the current SE they were looking to replace. It was his first job out of college, so he didn't know they wanted to can someone once he took it, but he's not with that company any longer because he thought it could happen to him someday. He got out in less than two years.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I thought Martinsville moved its office across the border.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

How could anyone take a job knowing this happened to the person they replaced?
    If it were me, I would be looking over my shoulder every 10 seconds.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Or at the very least, surreptitiously applying to each blind opening, just to make sure it wasn't me.

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Somebody should apply just to see where this place is. I'd apply, but I'm afraid it would get back to my boss.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I thought about applying, hoping they would fly me out for an interview, just so I could see my mother, who lives near Greensboro and may be dying.

But from reading the posts, it sounds like I would be footing the bill for my own ride.

Draft saved Draft deleted