1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mystery listing, Northern Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Oct 14, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=557828

A small to mid-sized daily newspaper in northern Indiana is looking for a creative and talented writer for the sports department. The qualified candidate will be someone who is fast on his or her feet and can think outside the box. The sports writer works directly with the sports editor to cover seven area high schools, produce copy for daily and special sections and help coordinate those section. There are also opportunities to cover some college and pro sporting events that come to the area. A degree in journalism or a related field is required. Previous writing experience at a daily is helpful, but not necessary. He or she should be able to craft compelling copy on tough deadlines, have strong grammar skills, an excellent understanding of AP style and good organizational skills. Nights and weekends are required. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references.

This employer only accepts online applications.

Unnamed paper ... no contact info ... online applications only? Things that make you go, "hmmm....'

2. The first rule of "a small to mid-sized daily newspaper in northern Indiana" is never talk about "a small to mid-sized daily newspaper in northern Indiana."

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I want to know how you fit "A small to mid-sized daily newspaper in northern Indiana" into the masthead.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'll guess LaPorte. It's small enough to cover just seven schools, but close enough to South Bend and Chicago for those pro/college sports you "might" have a chance to cover.

Might also be Goshen, Elkhart or Warsaw (that's just off the top of my head tho).

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

When i read "Mystery listing, Northern Indiana," I immediately thought of Gary.

This paper is too small for Gary, but that's a town I could see them listing as a mystery town.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Harley, I thought the same thing too.

I'll stick with LaPorte. I've heard it's not great there and Elkhart and Goshen have a better reputation.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We talking about Gary here? Man, Gary's a dusthole.

8. No way. That paper's in Merrillville now. And though it has a strong local focus, it's a pretty good paper. And provides a straight shot to the Sun-Times, you would think, for someone ambitious. No way they'd hide it.

9. turnovers

turnovers Member

It will also be interesting to have a byline of "By John Doe | A small to mid-sized daily newspaper in northern Indiana Top Notch Sports Writer"

10. espnguy

espnguy Member

Try Michigan City, Ind. (The Dispatch or something like that, if I recall). They post a similar ad about every six months, only usually with contact info included. It fits the bill of a small-to-mid-size Northern Indiana paper and does occasional college and pro coverage in Chicago, South Bend, etc.

11. Hank_Scorpio

I had thought about Michigan City, but they routinely post with their name and contact info.

If it is them, remember they are owned by Paxton. (That's all i'll say about that, unless asked further).

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Take me down to Michigan City ... where the grass is green and the girls are pretty ... oh won't you please take me home.

Draft saved Draft deleted