1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myrtle Beach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Just booked a four-day trip to Myrtle Beach w/ the lady in mid-April and I was wondering what are some things to do there? I checked out the Broadway at the Beach and that seems like a two-day adventure in itself. What are some good places to eat and sights to see, other than going to the sho..., oops, I mean beach. Can ya tell I'm from Jersey? LOL

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Golf? If you're a golfer and you don't play some of their great courses, you shall be subject to loss of your man card.

I was there with three other friends in 1996 and again in 1997 and our agenda was pretty simple: Golf in the morning, Hooters for lunch, a nap, and then there was this big sports bar also connected to a dance club. I think it was called Yesterday's. We spent pretty much every night there eating and drinking.

3. da el g

da el g Member

between Myrtle and North Myrtle in the area known as Restaurant Row is a really good Italian restaurant- Rossi's

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Schedule yourself to start each day with a half-hour walk on the beach, 7 a.m. or so. Very refreshing even if the early breeze is a little chilly in April.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Broadway at the Beach ain't all that. Shops, restaurants, I think there's a little NASCAR amusement park and the Pelicans Stadium is there.
    The Redneck Riviera. Lots of good golf courses. Don't let anyone fool you. Thee Doll House is overrated, The Crazy Horse is better. Mind you, I've only been told that. Wouldn't know from personal experience.

6. My wife and I went there last Labor Day. I'm not a golfer, but I know that's one of the great places to be if you are. I agree, though, Broadway at the Beach isn't all that great. The place is very touristy, and that's just not my kind of thing. But you can have a lot of fun there. There's a House of Blues. Mandy Moore was there when we were in town, so it brings in big names. You're going to have to look really hard to find a nice meal in that town, though. All the places we went seemed to have chefs who did their training at Chili's.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Don't be afraid to take a side trip to Charleston one evening. Pretty easy/short drive down 17.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A walk on the beach to start the day, yes, that IS the way to go.

Lots of dining choices, but nothing's really going to knock your socks off.

I've got nothing in the way of attractions that aren't golf-related.

9. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

Golf is a must. Get out on any of the Barefoot courses if you can. My favorite is Fazio. Luigi's on 17 at around 64th ave. north is better than Rossi's for Italian food. I also absolutely agree that Broadway is overrated. There are some decent bars there but nothing too special. Expect a lot of fraternity/sorority kids from Coastal if you decide to go. Honestly there's not a whole lot of variety. The town was built to attract married middle aged men who want to play golf, get drunk, and look at young naked girls who aren't their wives. Outside of golf, bars, and strip clubs there's not much to do.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If you're in North Myrtle, head to breakfast at Harry's Breakfast House. It's cheap, and quite good for breakfast food.

11. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

The Harry's in North Myrtle closed but the one in Myrtle Beach on 24th is still open.

12. KoM

KoM Member

Don't go to Myrtle Beach to eat Italian. There are some good fresh seafood places all over the area. Check out a Pelicans game.

If I were making a side trip to Charleston, I'd just go to Charleston to start with. I like it much better than Myrtle Beach. Being a little older, my wife and I prefer a place that's not a spring break destination because it's more quiet and laid back. As much as I enjoy looking at the naked young girls in Myrtle Beach, wifey doesn't seem to appreciate the view as much as I do!

Draft saved Draft deleted