1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myrtle Beach Fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ianguerin, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ianguerin

ianguerin New Member

In case you haven't heard, 15,000+ acres have already burned in in North Myrtle Beach.
    While it's not as windy here as it was yesterday, it's dry as hell. One of the news conferences just said that part of the fire are spreading underground, which I didn't even know was possible. The fire itself appears to be going back and forth, and the smoke is getting worse and worse.
    They've evacuated several neighborhoods and closed schools, businesses, etc.
    No fatalities, and that probably has to do with people here being pretty conscious of it.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That sucks. One of my favorite vacation spots. Used to go every summer as a kid.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Any of the 3,094 golf courses burning?

4. In my three summers as a forest ranger, I was in four (relatively small) forest fires, and I can tell you that the underground fire is one scary mofo. It can burn for miles and then erupt like a tiny volcano. It can make a fire seem to be extinguished when it's not.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

2 courses and seven random holes ;D

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What is it burning in? Tunnels? Cable pipes?

7. Anything flammable that's underground -- root systems, buried leaves, organic matter in the soil. Most forests are eight-layer cakes of flammable material.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, that makes sense.

I wonder if it could turn into a electrical fire if it was near civilization.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Never thought about it that way. Yikes.

Did you get to keep the hat?

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fixed.

(And here's hoping this gets solved soon. Love that part of the country.)

11. Scouter

Scouter Member

Underground railroad?

12. The worst forest fire in American history -- the Peshtigo Fire in Wisconsin -- had an element of ground-burn and underground fire that was truly apocalyptic. All the byproducts of decades of lumbering, buried and on the surface, went up.

Draft saved Draft deleted