1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myles Brand dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Gacy?

Jim Jones?

Dahmer?

Really?

Bad form?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I hated some of his policies and I still think many of them were wrong-headed. Even so, he does not deserve the rancor that's simmering under the surface on this thread.

Having said that, RIP Myles Brand.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A little clarification on my part: I have this hard-on for RIP threads where people "remember someone in their prayers" when they never knew the person. Could be a sweet person, could be a polarizing individual. Not all "this person died" threads bring out the same warm, perfunctory "RIP; best thoughts to the family" whom very few people here knew.
    Maybe it's the cynical Yankee bastard in me. But on an anonymous message board like this, why must everything be fond memories and fuzzy thoughts to someone who, in their particular case, might not have deserved it? Did all of you who said the textbook "thoughts and prayers" actually mean it or did you write it because that's what you're supposed to say?
    I liked Henry Gibson; I liked Ted Kennedy; I was ambivalent to Myles Brand. I mean I'm sorry he died, but I thought he was a pencil-neck bureaucrat while he was alive.
    I know when I go, I'd like someone to write, he was a cynical bastard prick -- because I am. But I always mean well or at least try to be honest.
    If people want to wish an RIP to Myles Brand, go for it. If they want to think he was the worst thing to happen to college athletics, let it fly. Free exchange of ideas and thoughts are what this place is supposed to be about, isn't it?

4. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Should making difficult and unpopular decisions for a powerful governing body exclude someone from being remembered fondly? Does it mean that he was a bad human being, across all levels of his life? Do you think because certain things may have defined him professionally that he doesn't "deserve fuzzy thoughts and fond memories" from those that choose to share those?

There is a disconnect between the professional and personal legacies of people, and distinctions should be made. Personally, someone's professional legacy seems a lot less important.

5. Slappy,

I can't really disagree with anything you wrote. Free exchange of ideas? By all means.

But as I said, I believe some people -- and this is not aimed at anyone in particular, yourself included -- need some perspective before airing those ideas.

As I wrote, what was Myles Brand's grave injustice that someone would waltz into a thread about his death, and instead of either offering a RIP -- which, as you stated, everyone who dies seems to get on here -- or just simply clicking off the thread, instead says they can't wait until he's buried so they can really hammer him?

Want to start a thread that says "Myles Brand -- good or bad for college sports?" then yeah, by all means, that free exchange of ideas should be embraced.

Willingly post on a thread talking about this man's death -- not a serial killer or a child raper or anything else vile, just a college administrator -- that you want to tap dance on his grave? Be prepared for that free exchange of ideas to include a lot of people writing that your are an asshole.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's not Myles Brand I am against, tho I've never been a fan.
    I'm against RIP threads where people offer perfunctory "thoughts and prayers" (99 times out of 100 because it's what they're supposed to do rather than they give a damn) for someone who others felt might have been a rat-bastard (and not pointing a finger at Brand), and they are vilified when someone calls them a rat-bastard. I think when Bob Jelenic died and people wished him ill. Why not? He was a polarizing figure. He wrecked as many lives as he helped.
    Here's my flag on a thread title: If someone starts a thread that says "RIP Jeffrey Dahmer" then you are expressing an aspect of civility, wishing he rest in peace. If someone offers a thread "Jeffrey Dahmer dies", then there is no implied civility. He died -- feel free to express your opinion. And in this case, Highway 101 did when Myles Brand died.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agree with a lot of your sentiment. But fuzzy thoughts and fond memories mean more when they're backed up with a story -- from living next door to a person or watching him once for five minutes on TV -- than plastic perfunctory kinds found on this site in many different threads.

8. Fair enough.

Like I said, not a fan of Myles Brand? I don't believe anyone on here would have any problem with someone having that sentiment. And the belief that the RIPs are often just meaningless words typed on a message board? I get that, too.

I just don't get the apparent glee and rancor, to steal another poster's word, directed at a rather innocuous man who was cut down by a terrible, terrible disease. I mean, is it so hard to show a little respect? Or to say nothing at all?

9. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I opened the can.

Blast me.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But are these threads specifically for "respect" or a broader picture of expressing emotion?
    As I said, I'm sorry he died and no one (very few) deserve a disease like this.
    But is a thread on someone's passing fair game; or, at the very least, if it doesn't proclaim "RIP", are all forms of discussion fair game?
    Not trying to be a dick with this, but it's a long standing peeve with RIPs of tissue paper and crocodile tears

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think Slappy is 1,000% right re: the board overusing the term "RIP" as well as overdoing it with the offering of prayers and thoughts for people they likely know only in the most tangential way. Doesn't mean you can't feel bad or sad when Celebrity X dies, but are folks really praying and thinking of Celebrity X and his/her family? And if so, wouldn't those prayers and thoughts be better used for those within your actual inner circle?

Nor do I think we should remove all the warts from the deceased in the hours and days after his/her death. But, and this is not to pile on Highway 101 at all, I don't think it's right to want to fire away on the guy, either, especially someone like Brand whose greatest crimes would seem to be related to college athletics, which generates great passion but is inconsequential in the grand scheme.

I could understand the dancing on Jelenic's grave, b/c as Slappy pointed out, he destroyed a ton of lives in this business. I wouldn't partake in it, b/c I have a hard time thinking of anyone who deserves to get and die of cancer, but at least it's relevant to this business. Not so sure of that on Brand.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thank you.
    I have enough trainwreck in my personal life than to include Patrick Swayze in my thoughts and prayers. Now, am I sorry he's gone? Hell yes. Cancer sucks; 53 is too soon for anyone. But he's never heard of me and I don't know him. But I've got enough issues in my personal life where "thoughts and prayers" might be better served closer to home.
    If it's perfunctory indignance as much as it was perfunctory condolences, spare me the best wishes. Put those to personal good and express your true emotions. It's a catharsis. Use it.
    There are two editors at former papers who, if their names ever appear on this board, I will pee all over quicker than HoopsMcCann on a trip to Montgomery. One of the two, I might fly back to a former town just to spit in his coffin. But not everyone feels that way, nor should they. It's a news thread, it's reaction.

Draft saved Draft deleted