1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myles Brand dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I must admit I was a little sadder when I heard about Swayze.

RIP to Myles Brand. I have a relative with Pancreatic Cancer. It is a brutal fucking disease and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, even the heads of Gannett, Media General or Tribune Co.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I didn't see this as an RIP thread. Not everyone should RIP.

3. I must have missed the part where Brand killed somebody, or did any physical harm to anybody.

4. Yeah, Ralph, I am seriously failing to understand what grave injustice Myles Brand carried out that prevents him being accorded a RIP.

Some people really have a perspective problem on here.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If you don't like the NCAA or think Brand was wrong for firing Knight, fine. But by all accounts, Myles Brand was a gracious intelligent family man who spent his career supporting higher education. If that does not earn him an RIP from some posters on this board, then Myles Brand had more class in his toenail clippings than they carry in their entire worthless body.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I say can the sanctimony. We're not at the man's funeral. If someone wants to launch a barb, fair game.
    I have neither a joke nor an ax to grind, but gallows humor is supposed to be acceptable among journalists.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If someone wants to make a joke, feel free. I love gallows humor as much as the next ink-stained wretch. But there are posters here who appear unwilling to give the man a basic Rest In Peace, which is so grossly out of proportion to his alleged "crimes" that their indecency needs to be pointed out.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hell, most people gave Ted Kennedy a RIP and he killed a person. Yet they can't give a simple RIP to Brand?

You said it very well, Pope.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I believe what my old friend Highway 101 meant to say was: "I wasn't a fan of his ideas or his policies, but that's a discussion for another time."

This "I'm more sensitive than YOU!" piling on is just too much. Not everyone subscribes to the idea (general idea, not necessarily regarding Myles Brand) of "Well, he's dead, so today he's less of an a-hole."

I understand the idea of "If you can't think of something nice to say, show respect for the dead." But I don't think we should equate "Well . . . I'd like to bash him" with "I'm happy he died a painful death."

Again, RIP, Myles Brand. I hope at some point there can be an honest discussion of your impact, both good and bad.

And having to do with much, much more than the firing of a basketball coach.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For the record: RIP Myles Brand. I started the thread looking at it as more of a news thing.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Big day for sports-related deaths in Indianapolis. I won't start a separate thread to also give an RIP to Mel Simon, who with his brother Herb saved the Pacers and made it one of the most respected franchises in the NBA (until Stephen Jackson, Jamal Tinsley, et al, disrespected it). And, as an aside, Mel (with Herb) is responsible for much of what you see in downtown Indianapolis. Mel also died of pancreatic cancer. By the way, Mel and Herb also produced "Porky's."

On a personal note, my father, who died this summer of pancreatic cancer, probably saw a lot of the same doctors Mel Simon and Myles Brand saw. My dad started his treatment at St. Vincent's, which treated Mel, and then switched to IU, which treated Myles Brand.

Draft saved Draft deleted