1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myles Brand diagnosed with pancreatic cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Best wishes to Brand, a guy who had the cajones to do something that no other IU president did and not allow a major state university to be run by the basketball coach.
    But I do expect the next major research to come out of Indiana to involve the existence and use of voodoo dolls.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't stand the guy, but I wouldn't wish pancreatic cancer on anyone.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Professionally, Brand was a weasel who virtually gutted the athletic program at every school he went to (not only did he fire Knight on flimsy justification, and essentially had planned to control/fire Knight from the moment he walked onto campus -- he also canned an absolutely first-class guy as football coach in Bill Mallory, and the football program at IU has been in a free-fall ever since). He used the firing of Knight to get himself patted on the back by his academia buddies and advance his own career.

However, my personal feelings for him aside -- he almost singlehandedly destroyed the athletic program at my alma mater and parlayed the ensuing self-righteousness into a promotion -- I wish pancreatic cancer on nobody. Hopefully, the recovery goes well and he can return to a semi-normal life.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nice to see good behavior exercised here.

I don't care at all for Brand. The Indiana folks have given justification for their dislike of him that goes far beyond the Bobby Knight saga, and the hypocrisy coming out of the NCAA is arguably worse than ever under his watch.

Still, cancer is awful. Keep Pounding, Mr. Brand.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A great thing. Wish we would see a hell of a lot more of it.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Those weren't cojones. That was a calculated move done to boost his own career.

Not arguing that Knight shouldn't have been canned, but Brand appeared to be positioning himself to that move from the moment he stepped on campus, and then cashed in on it (the holier-than-thou stuff really began at that moment).

7. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Precisely. A mother f-er, yes, but no mother f-er deserves pancreatic cancer.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't care if the move made him popular among academics or if it affected someone's rooting interests at their alma mater, some rector needed to stand up to that fuckwad.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Brand set a trap for Knight and Knight was either blind (or dumb) enough to fall in it.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Brand has been the best president the NCAA could ever have imagined having.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What has he done to help improve the state of collegiate athletics?

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm with Freelance on this one. How is Brand the best NCAA boss ever? Walter Byers would be spinning under his tombstone after hearing that jive. Indiana hires Sampson, and they slapped on the hands after thett were warned not to take him, but a school like NW Podunk State gets out on 5 years' probation for knick-knack shit.

Did we miss the memo if what he did right?

Draft saved Draft deleted