1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myles Brand diagnosed with pancreatic cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jan 17, 2009.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm running errands at the mall with my sister and her kid and I saw the WWL bottom line that Myles Brand has pancreativ cancer.

Would anyone please confirm that and tell me I'm not losing my mind after reading that.

Thanks. Forgive me if I'm d_bing.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

You're not losing your mind. Well, at least not because of this, anyway. ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3840750
    Prognosis: "not good."

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not a D_B, and yahoo has it too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=AtjyUuZXvJP8tAcll4c60645nYcB?slug=ap-ncaaconvention-brandillness&prov=ap&type=lgns

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Wow. My dad is also 66, living in the Indianapolis area and under treatment for pancreatic cancer. I wonder if he's seeing the same IU Med doctor as my dad. If so, Brand will have longer than he thinks, because my dad's progress has been spectacular. Of course, my dad's was caught relatively early. The problem in most cases is that by the time you learn you have pancreatic cancer, it's so far advanced there's nothing you can do except try to dull the pain as much as possible.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yup. A friend from work was the tough-guy type, didn't care much for going to see doctors. He lasted six nasty months post-diagnosis.

Good luck to your dad, Bob. Also to Mr. Brand.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Any Bob Knight reaction?

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm sure Bob Knight is the last thing he's thinking about today.

All the best wishes to Mr. Brand.

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

As much as I hate Myles for what he did at IU, in addition to firing Knight, I still don't want him to have this disease.

Skin cancer? Maybe.
    Pancreatic cancer? No.

He started a chain of events that has scarred my school with a Scarlet Letter and I hate him for it. I also hate him for telling me one thing in his office one day — a scoop over the Indy Star and the H-T — then saying something completely different at a presser the next day.

Myles, please retire to focus on your health.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

101, that is the best response to give about a hated person. I couldn't have written anything closer to that.

I'm not a fan of Brand at all, not just because of Indiana, but the way he runs the NCAA and the silliness and hypocritcal decisions that has been made under his tenure. With that said, I do not have a death wish towards him, because he's a human as well.

I hope that he is starting the process of getting treatment and working on his health.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Wish onto others as you would want wished upon you.

Like others, I have not been a big fan of Brand, either as a university president or as head of the NCAA. Let that criticism come out in his obit, which hopefully is still years away from being printed.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's a concept which needs to be underlined, boldfaced and run 24-point.

That became clear in the Jelenic thread.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Best wishes to Myles Brand, a man who is vilified beyond the pale of his actions anyway. I wouldn't wish pancreatic cancer on anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted