1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myers Strikes Back at Drama Queen Tiki

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Oct 27, 2006.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I see nothing wrong with Tiki wanting to retire and I think even though he may have overreacted to the leak getting out about his retirement - after all, he is only human - he is right on calling anyone who claims this as a distraction to his team an idiot. Word is the team already knew and he doesn't seem to be letting up on the field. As a matter of fact from all accounts he continues to stress his goal is to go out a Super Bowl champ. How can he do that if he is "quitting" on his teammates?

Michael Irvin, Tom Jackson and Gary Myers are idiots trying to make this a bigger deal than it really is.

It's easy to see why Irvin is doing it. He obviously wants to help his boy TO get out of the spotlight for a little while. So why not try and spin this as the TO apologist that he is, that Tiki is even more selfish and a bigger distration to his team than TO could ever be. I mean if you are going to call his boy TO a distration for every little thing he does, then why does Tiki get off the hook. Hello Michael - you're comparing apples to oranges, now get a friggin clue.

Maybe if you yell a little louder than the guy next to you, everyone will think you're right - then again, maybe they'll just call you a loud-mouthed idiot.

OK I'm ranting about Michael Irvin, I know, but the guy just irritates the shit out of me and I'm sure a heck of a lot more people on this board. And for anyone to stick up for anything he says is utter nonsense.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Wow. It's because of posts like yours that the word douchenozzle has a prominent place in the SportsJournalists.com Stylebook. See also, dicksnort and asshat.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't forget fucktard, lono.

4. lono

lono Active Member

My bad! You are quite correct. I defer to SportsJournalists.com's Goddess of Quality Footwear on this one.

5. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ok, it was a brag. My bad. Been a long day. I admit to being an asshat, etc. on that. Man's got to admit his mistakes. Especially if you're going to call someone else an asshat. For the record, I hope Tiki does well. I just think he's handled all this very amateurishly. In another thread, I commend Jemele Hill and Simmons for their self - marketing. I love that stuff, it's just that Tiki could use a good PR firm here. His thinking anyone would buy the "Oh, I didn't want this to get out" is ridiculous. Especially in New York.

Education: Ivy league. I did work in investment banking, as an investment banker, in Silicon Valley. Unless you think I'm a janitor who had a 'partner' who was an investment banker. Right now I'm working as a business consultant. That's it, that's all I'm going to say.

But I went into Greenberg smarminess territory, and I apologize. You guys, correctly, called me on that. I'm just sick of so many peoples' seemingly innate reflex to criticism being "You're a hater," etc. Such an easy way out of actually arguing the merits of the criticism on its face.

But I went to far, and y'all reigned me in. Thanks.

Oh, and my hoping Tiki destroys the Gints is definitely based on being a Cowboys fan. My thinking Tiki's handling of his retirement 'notice' has nothing to do with it. Same as my affinity for Irvin doesn't stop me from saying he's completely off the wall half the time.

I also get tired of the false assumption that athletes are the supposed 'apex predator' of fame and fortune; they're not, and that's what Rhoden's book is all about. It's that falsehood that keeps kids out on the court and not in the books. That does bother me.

Have a good night.

7. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Methinks you Jaded by Tiki's Professional Accomplishments and his promising future accomplishments. Sure "some" Investment Bankers are rich - most are NOT! and they are largely UNKNOWN outside of their concentrations. Tiki will FOREVER be known - inside football and outside of it. Maybe you pissed at his versatility? He IS a highly educated man, well spoken, entrepreneurial - and nothing you can say or do can "sack" that.

Yup, it's his popularity that he's taking into his future business life that's buggin you. If more of the NFL will follow his lead - they wouldn't need their pensions

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that sportsbruh responding to Rokski's idiotic post didn't somehow tear the fabric of the universe.

At the very least, we are all now dumber for having read those posts. I award sportsbruh and RokSki no points and may god have mercy on their souls.

9. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

^^^^^^

Drama Queen!

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Sportsbruh,

I hope Tiki kicks ass, honestly. He seems like good guy, and he comes off well. I just don't like the way he went about this move (reporter follows him around, 'accidentally' hears about his retirement, Tiki pretends he didn't want it to come out). He seems like a good guy. Someone can be a good guy and make a poor move. That's how I see what Tiki did here.

What he was trying to accomplish is great, that is, either get the Gints to pony - up for a bigger contract or, more likely, start the bidding war between the networks for his services. And let them know not to hire anyone else between now and then. My point was he f'd it up, and looked "drama queen - esque" in the process. So I get told I'm jealous. Don't shoot the messenger, people.

Sportsbruh, you of all people should know how easy it is to get the "Oh, you're just jealous" BS thrown at you. I wrote my "resume post" to refute that, so that my genuine point could be taken seriously without the "you're just jealous" crap attached to it.

Oh, by the way, tell that Page 2 Ivy Leaguer that the first NBA column was good. He stayed in his wheelhouse (even gave props to Simmons (who, as much of a tool as he can be, knows his NBA), and wrote a good piece, with his unique style. Tell him good job, and take care of Jemele, not that she needs any help. I've been damn rough on the 'bruh recently, so it's only fair I give him kudos when he does well. I wish him well, too, and I was critical of him because I know he does have a huge forum now and I just hope for his brothers and sisters' sake he keeps walking further down that Wiley road and less far down the "Grand Theft Auto" road. That's my only point. I'm happy for his success, and I hope he's living large and having fun. Unfortunately, as he well knows, when you're Writing While Black (or any other minority) more is expected from you. And, frankly more is needed from you. But he's young, and he's got time. Hell, Malcolm didn't go to Mecca for a long time. So tell him peace from me.

Bigpern - I'm a 'sin of commission' kind of guy - I will f*** up, but I'll admit when I f*** up. But I don't mind a little piling - on. I earned it. Hopefully the space - time continuum can withstand mine and Sportsbruh's errors. Because I can't speak for him, but I f*** up all the time, and no one wants to rely on that not happening.

Take it easy, fellas. I'm looking forward to watching some football in a couple of hours.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And Loopy chipped in his one cent, today, in the Snooze.

Gee, Mike, Tiki's a manipulative bitch? Remind you of anyone?

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Amen, Ben. Amen. At least Tiki's got something to offer. I can't believe anyone would buy Loopy's 'novels.' What a freaking joke. Forget talking about Jemele and page 2, how in the world can Loopy and Al - bum write bestseller books? I think I better go look for Nero with his fiddle . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted