1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myers Strikes Back at Drama Queen Tiki

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Oct 27, 2006.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/465736p-391847c.html

Very nice job by Gary Myers putting TV Barber's phoniness into proper relief. The two most telling points of the column are: (1) Tiki not owning up to calling Myers an idiot to his face and (2) Tiki's childish, lengthy rant at Myers in the locker room after Myers tried to politely apologize.

Tiki's "Golden Boy" image takes a deserved hit. Kudos to Myers for writing this column. If Tiki can turn on co - worker / mentor Myers, who won't he turn on? Guy's a fraud, and his mind's already on his next gig instead of the here - and - now. You reap what you sow, Tiki. Or what you "allow" to be overheard. Weak.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Man, I wonder how good Tiki would be playing if his mind wasn't on his next gig. 27-114 last week against the Cowboys. You're right. Weak.

3. Probably the greatest harm done by vast wealth is the harm that we of moderate means do ourselves when we let the vices of envy and hatred enter deep into our own natures.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Is it just me or are these two contradictory?
    "He didn't call me an idiot to my face."
    "When I went to talk to him, he ranted about me to my face."

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

1. Is he only allowed to rip people who are there? If so, just when would Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin huddle around his locker for postgame quotes to allow Tiki the "proper" way to vent?

2. As Pastor pointed out, if Myers felt slighted because Tiki didn't call him an idiot to his face, Tiki sure didn't miss the first chance he got after that to do so. New York media loves to dish it, but can take it? Guess not.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Myers asked him directly if he called him and idiot. Tiki said no. This might have occurred over the phone. Have to re - read the article. But Myers tried to politely apologize to Tiki in the locker room, and TV, who had already gone off on Myers, resumed going off of him, for an extended period. Pure class.

Ever hear of the slow leak? At first, it's no big deal. But as time goes on (playoffs roll around), all the sudden the ships half sunk. It'd be terrible if that happened to Tiki and the Gints.

I wouldn't dream of trading places with Tiki Barber; not a chance. I've got a vastly superior education to Barber's Virginia and a background in Silicon Valley investment banking. Investment bankers can easily make well over a million a year, and the career longevity is roughly nine times that of an NFL player. I'm not trying to brag, just clearing up any false pretenses.

One of my old partners is sitting on about $3 mil., much of which he got doing a deal for Daniel Snyder. One of those Jemele Hill situations: Right place, right time. Ask Jordan if he'd rather have his money or Mark Cuban's. One can afford an NBA team, one can't. No, TV can have his life, and I'll take mine. No envy here. Can't speak for the gap - toothed one, though. Pro athletics has plenty of perks, but it's not where the top dogs are at, unless you're talking about the owners' boxes. The Alpha's are watching in luxury suites while the Beta's are playing. Just read Rhoden's latest where he talks all about that. We writers, well, take your pick from the rest of the Greek alphabet.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, that sure read like you were trying to brag. :)

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hmm, your education is better than his? Your earning power is better than his? But you're not bragging.

And the fact that you're a Cowboys fan speaks volumes about your initial post.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Given the "they hate Belichick" story three years ago, I'm sure the Patriots are in agreeance with Tiki regarding Tom Jackson.
    If Tiki has the opportunity to walk away at the top of his game with his health intact and excellent post-football prospects, no wonder the hatas are out for him.

10. XXXX

XXXX Member

id·i·ot (d-t)
    n.

A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers.
    [​IMG]

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd hate to hear it if you ever DO decide to brag.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A "background" in investment banking isn't the same as an actual job in investment banking. So what do you actually do for a living and where did you go to school, since you are clearing up false pretenses and all.

Draft saved Draft deleted