1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myanmar mess

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, May 9, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nope. Already tried that. See Somalia, Mogadishu.

2. That's rich.

Indeed, see Somalia, Mogadishu.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Can I play too?

As for Myanmar itself, I wonder if the junta has the ability to shoot large planes out of the sky. And if it doesn't, and I suspect it doesn't, why not load up a few C-130s and just start dropping food? It would annoy them, and it would probably annoy the Chinese, but I doubt the Chinese would shoot the planes down. Some of the food would doubtless get to the wrong hands, but at least some of it would end up where it needed to. Seems like a better idea than waiting for permission.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Because when one of those crates under a parachute landed on a little kid, the world would blame George W. Bush.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So?

That consideration hasn't stopped him from doing about 23,549 other stupid things.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The cyclone hit

An oppressed place

It left them with

a smoother face

-----

Burma Shave.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Um, unnecessary. Really unnecessary.

Nobody was bringing him into the dance until you chimed in, Hondo.

And for once, he got something right, imploring the tinpot dictators running that country that they should let us come in and provide aid. They ignored him, then started confiscating the aid that evil, abhorrent body -- the UN -- sent in.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

What little is being mentioned here is more than they're getting in the country itself. Reports from people on the ground said state-run TV was showing an opera instead of anything mentioning the cyclone.

And just to back up Birdscribe's last point:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/10/cyclonenargis.burma

The junta to the rest of the world: Thanks for the aid ... now GTFO.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

At risk of sounding a bit sanctimonious, it strikes me how many saw fit to respond to this with lame jokes.

I'm certain you wouldn't have seen that levity on threads in the wake of 9/11 (death toll around 3000) or Katrina (death toll around 1800). But a much larger natural disaster that kills around 500,000 foreigners is percieved as something completely different far less worthy of concern.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, they're taking the aid and distributing it themselves and taking the credit. Latest from AP:

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) _ Myanmar's military regime distributed international aid Saturday but plastered the boxes with the names of top generals in an apparent effort to turn the relief effort for last week's devastating cyclone into a propaganda exercise.

The United Nations sent in three more planes and several trucks loaded with aid, though the junta took over its first two shipments. The government agreed to let a U.S. cargo plane bring in supplies Monday, but foreign disaster experts still were being barred entry.

Despite international appeals to postpone a referendum on a controversial proposed constitution, voting began Saturday in all but the hardest hit parts of the country. With voters going to the polls, state-run television continuously ran images of top generals including junta leader, Senior Gen. Than Shwe, handing out boxes of aid at elaborate ceremonies.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/world/asia/11myanmar.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

These poor people need food and water. They also need M-16s and rocket propelled grenades.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You've been here how long? See that button up there with the letters S-E-A-R-C-H in it? How about giving that a punch or two and then get back to us.

Draft saved Draft deleted