1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myanmar mess

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, May 9, 2008.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Its been the lead story on the NBC Nightly News....I have no idea what those ass hats at CBS are doing. Can't speak for ABC (although I respect them more as a news organization) Check into Jim Lehrer on PBS stations. They usually have a pretty good discussion about it.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good for you, Mizzou. I didn't realize you were so big on entitlement programs and the like. Awesome!

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Mizzou, insert foot into mouth.

http://www.worldpress.org/1101we_are_all_americans.htm

Just dripping with laughter, isn't it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Instead of sending money to Asia, I think we all should get another stimulus check... :D

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You most likely know it as Myanmar, but it will always be Burma to me.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I didn't think it was possible for people on this board to be so callous as to say to hell with others in such a manner. I mean, if we have a beef, it's with the Myanmar junta, not the people of the nation itself, right?

That being said, if the junta is keeping us and others from helping the people, not really sure what the answer is. But I'm pretty sure it's not f-ck 'em.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I ship in a couple boatloads of guns and tell the people if they want food and water, they better use the guns to convince the junta to resign.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I thought the nation reverted back to Burma? It's not Myanmar anymore, along the same lines that Zaire reverted back to Congo.

Damn retro nation name changes!

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It'll always be Burma to me.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We already keep most of it. The US gives the most in foreign aid by raw dollar amount, but as a percentage of GDP, we rank near the bottom.

http://www.cgdev.org/section/initiatives/_active/cdi/_components/aid/

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

One of the reasons for the poor coverage is that journalists are not allowed inside, and when inside, won't even use a byline for fear of getting captured. I heard a radio report this morning in which the host specified that the reporter was not being identified for that reason, and this in the NYT today: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/10/world/asia/10scene.html?hp

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's another reason for poor coverage.

Nobody cares.

Draft saved Draft deleted