1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My worst day yet as a journalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I laughed out loud at that - thanks for the smile. :D

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think my worst day as a journalist started with food poisoning and went downhill from there as I filed a column and a prep basketball gamer.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Or call the schools involved and get rosters ahead of time. Don't bitch about not getting a free program.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If that's your worst day ever as a journalist, consider yourself lucky.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Read this gem from an official in the former local rag: “It’s not so much the coaches yelling that bothers me. It’s the idiots outside the fence calling me an idiot. But I look at it like this: That guy paid four bucks to watch a great game. I got paid 60 bucks to watch a great game. Now who’s the idiot?”

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

btw ... but you did get into the game for free, right? /cluelesspeople

My story, and no, this is hardly a "worst day" story:

I had an overzealous parent running the gate tell me I had to pay to get in. I asked if she could call the AD over to confirm that because I talked to him earlier in the week and he said I was good to go. She acted like I was asking the world of her. So I told her I needed a receipt if I was going to pay to get in because I need to receipt to get reimbursed.

She said she couldn't provide that ... and proceeded to take money from the people behind me. After they walked through the gate, she said I would have to pay. I told her again I needed a receipt or to talk to the AD. In a huff, she said, "Fine. Go ahead."

I saw the AD as I was walking to the press box and explained what happened. He said, "I'll take care of it. You won't have a problem next week." Didn't have a problem the next game.

And save your "you should always carry cash" or "just pay it" lines ... I didn't have cash on me. I don't carry cash. I shouldn't need cash to do my job.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I'm so confused.

First, you say it was the first prep football game of the year. Then you mention the SID (I know of absolutely no high schools that have a SID) and then you say "I finally get to the press box and discover that the wireless password I used for several years while covering this crappy college team no longer works."

So was it a prep game or a college football game? Because the lack of organization for a college football game is so terribly frightening, but I don't know what to believe because your story conflicts.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess it was a high school game at a college field.

Draft saved Draft deleted