1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My worst day yet as a journalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Aug 28, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If the worst thing that ever happens to you is that someone forces you to go to a dance, I would say that's a pretty good life.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I say they should have worked because they had a person (not an AD mind you) whose job it is to make sure they worked.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think you should call and complain. Really, I do.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not a deadline story, but could probably qualify as "worst day as a journalist." Told it once here but it's been a while...

Well, this old guy wasn't a journalist but wanted to help out with our prep coverage, so the boss had him shadow me one Friday night. Guy was fine as far as understanding the job, but said he wasn't feeling too well so he asked to go home at halftime.

He went home and died. Now that's a lousy day.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

This thread actually makes me miss covering preps/college. *sigh*

And also of note, gotta love getting let go the day after New Years.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

And the Rangers beat the Yankees!

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good Lord.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What should have worked?

Football_b's cell phone, his inhouse password, his freelance photographer?

The only thing that happened that that was the "fault" of the school was that he had problem getting in the door with his credential, he had problems getting a free program that suited him and the wireless was turned off in the press box.

I would categorize those issues as "routine" rather than worst day ever.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ace, if the game has started on time, would he have missed any of it?

Those are a pretty big three for an SID to mess up on.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

qft

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What does the SID have to do with the game being delayed because of lightning? Seriously, if you are covering high school sports you need to be self-sufficient.

12. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

It always pisses me off when it's such a chore to get rosters at a game. Why is it so hard for the home team's AD to print off several copies and put them in the press box before the game so every member of the media can get one? I always do my best to track down rosters somewhere in the days leading up to the game so I don't have to worry but I just don't see why its so damn hard for them to do it.

And then trying to get a program from the people selling them --- Ha, good luck. They look at you like you're crazy. Because it probably cost them 6 cents for each program. Can't spare that for someone trying to get your team some coverage in the paper now can we?

Draft saved Draft deleted