1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My worst day yet as a journalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

True. I just wanted to vent. ;D

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK. You could blame the SID.

I, personally, have never met an SID for a high school athletic program.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My god, she's back.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No bitching about the quality of the program as long as it's readable. I hated schools that had a 60-page novel complete with photos of the JV golf team and the secretaries. Give me the insert with the roster and you can have your book back to sell to someone else.

I've never met a high school SID, but at some uppity private schools I've had the coach pass me onto the school's PR office when I wanted a word with a star player.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am guessing this game was played in Texas. I have seen some of the high school fields there, and they are nicer than almost every college stadium in Virginia (sans Tech and UVA and possibly one or two others.)

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I kept waiting for the part where a stadium working knocked the laptop off the counter top and sent it to the floor, where it met the Grim Reaper.

Hang in there, my friend. I've had many days like that one. When you go prematurely gray, you'll have interesting stories to tell the "You get into games for free?" people who wonder why your hair is going prematurely gray.

7. 93Devil

Lo siento.

My brain is still Cream of Wheat after the long meeting I sat through.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, though. Getting kicked out of press boxes and having the phones and power turned off were part of being a prep sports writer long before wireless was invented.

The odds of me getting to stay in a press box long enough to write and file my story were about 50-50 on any given night.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Early in my career I used to have to leave the press box at the prep game, drive over to the convenience store there and beg to use their phone to file.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This thread could go on forever with people telling their deadline filing stories. I could probably contribute five pages just with mine.

11. 93Devil

I would always just drive back to the shop if that was a problem.

I don't think I was ever more than a 30 minute drive, so I guess I was lucky.

But if all these things were expected to work, they should have worked.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This thread is awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted