1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My wife's Yahoo e-mail account just got hacked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, May 1, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Somebody just e-mailed me pix of a naked woman in Nigeria.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Ragu and THGC: She has an e-mail in to her IT guy. I'd like to think that a Congressional PC is pretty well maintained... (go ahead, insert your own joke here)

3. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

National Geographic spam. Great.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Or SI's next swimsuit issue.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have no idea what "pull out the long header" means. But it sounds vaguely upsetting.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

On another hacking note: Yesterday my bank called me and told me some company in Russia just put a $630 charge on my Visa. It got flagged because a couple of other Merrill Lynch customers got the same charge.

I got the call about it yesterday at about 12:30 p.m. They terminated that Visa and at 9:50 this morning the UPS guy delivered me a new one. Which was just in time because I had a plane to catch a couple of hours later.

And my all-time favorite spam subject line is one I got back in 2003 -- "Sexy bin Laden pics!!!"

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

One of our coaches' e-mail address sent us a similar message; it was only asking for $1,500. I cut a check, and I still feel good about myself.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

One of the reasons I will always be a Chase Mastercard holder is the time they called because they noticed some fraudulent activity. I can't recall exactly what it was...I want to say a charge from a car repair place in Miami ,then a large charge, like $1,500 at Sears.

It scared the hell out of me because I had to practically give them blood over the phone to prove who I was, but they caught it, called me, cancelled the account and had a new card sent to me practically the next day.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The husband of one of my wife's friends had his e-mail account hacked like that last month. I knew he wasn't overseas like that. But it was good for some laughs.
    I got the e-mail in the morning. That afternoon my wife and her friend stopped by the house and I said to her "sorry to hear about his crisis in Nigeria" and she said "what are you talking about?" and I said "he e-mailed me telling me what happened" and puzzled she and my wife were asking "what are you talking about?"
    so I brought them over to the computer and showed them. She called her husband to let him know what was going on with the e-mail (as it was an account they haven't used in a long time) and he told her that he already got several phone calls from friends asking what was going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted