1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My wife's Yahoo e-mail account just got hacked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, May 1, 2008.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Just a word of warning for those of you with Yahoo e-mail. My wife's e-mail account got hacked and sent out a really bizarre e-mail (subject is 'An Emergency'):

They've changed the password and now she can't access her e-mail. So if you haven't changed your password recently, maybe now's a good time to do so (while making it more complex as well).

I knew that wasn't her anyway, because she has better grammatical skills like that. And I don't much know why she'd be asking her broke-dick husband for two grand.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

How do you know it isn't her? Who else would be e-mailing you from Nigeria?

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Well, the fact that I talked to her on the phone 30 minutes ago and saw her this morning when she left.

Plus there's that whole trust thing. ::)

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You think you talked to her. And you think you saw her this morning.

Watch Alfred Hitchcock's "Marionettes, Inc."

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Tell your wife to stop sending me those bogus e-mails.

And I'm not going to send her one penny until I see my share of the $82 million I helped her transfer to a Swiss bank.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That was your wife's account? Tell her I said I'm sorry.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I got spam from a coworker's personal e-mail last night. I wrote back "stop spamming me!" and he was all apologetic like it was his fault.

Hell, I get spam on my work account FROM my work account.

8. I get spam e-mails from myself, too. I think bots just comb the Internet for e-mail addresses and send junk mail using some kind of masking technology that lists your address as the sender. That's probably why you see some people writing their e-mail addresses online in a format like this... firstnamelastname at mysite dot com. The bots probably don't recognize that as an e-mail address.

Your problem might actually be kind of serious, especially considering someone has changed her e-mail password. She might have a key logger on her computer that is recording every keystroke she makes. I'd tell her to stop using that computer until you get a professional to take a look. Check all the sites that require you to have usernames and passwords to log in to (not from that computer, obviously), especially your bank account(s).

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you pull out the long header, you'll see that they are just spoofing your e-mail address--to make it look like it came from your address in the header. You can see the real server it came from, though, in a long header, and it isn't going to be your company's server.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh Hustle... My guess is your wife's machine, in general, has been compromised, if someone was able to pick her password clean and take over her account. A likely suspects would be a worm that has harvested her computer (is there anti-virus software on it) for someone sitting Russia (or name an Eastern European country). Another suspect, but I don't think a lot of people fall for this, could be that she accidentally clicked on a phishing e-mail... something that looked like it came from Yahoo (and spoofed a Yahoo address), but then took her to some jerk's web page where she typed in her info for them to steal. Could be other things as well... I'd bet with 99 percent certainty, though, it originated on your computer, not on Yahoo's server.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

EVERYONE seems to have problems in Nigeria when the visit. When will people learn?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

For such a poor country, there sure are a lot of people with millions of dollars they need to move.

Draft saved Draft deleted