1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My wife's car was stolen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, May 21, 2012.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I want to thank you for this reference.

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Good idea on your part. If they start giving you trouble, you can always do some saber rattling by talking about discussing things with a lawyer. That would likely get them moving in the right direction sooner rather than later.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

With the carseat base, "the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) position that it is not necessary to replace a child restraint after a minor crash. A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

* The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
    * The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged;
    * There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
    * The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
    * There is no visible damage to the child restraint."

The vehicle was involved in an accident. It could not be driven from the scene. Therefore, it can't be a minor accident according to the NHTSA. This means the carseat base must be replaced.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me how much I hate insurance people. Lightning struck my parents' house two years ago and it took them almost the entire next year to get replacement siding because the people at Kentucky Farm Bureau are idiots.

Then, it took the same company almost a month to declare my transmission going out an accident. I ran over something in the road late at night that I had no way to avoid. My dad's shop looked at it and said there was nothing I could've done, but the adjuster wanted to say it could've been avoided. They finally got their asses in gear when I brought up bringing a lawyer into the fold.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

You definitely want a top-to-bottom exam of the car done. I don't think you'd want to get pulled over one day and have a drug-sniffing dog find that stash of coke this moron had hidden under your trunk or something.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Watch the excessive saber-rattling, though. Since it's an '04, it wouldn't take too extensive an amount of damage for the provider to total the vehicle compared to a more late-model machine.

That sounds good ... until you realize that the provider won't offer the amount needed to replace the vehicle without a good chunk of change coming out of your pocket.

Having said that, it's not to be interpreted as back down and take all the BS from your insurer. Sounds like the vehicle is mechanically and structurally sound, barring something occurring to the rear axle. So then it's a matter of repairing the interior and some cosmetic work ... and hopefully your provider won't feign ignorance.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm trying to remember... You had a brand new set of golf clubs, an iPad, and a suitcase of gold bullion in the trunk right?

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

And a new diamond ring for my wife.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

And get every dollar you can get from the insurance. And give a good victim's impact statement at this asshole's sentencing.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had a license plate stolen quite some time ago.
    And the registration sticker was expired.
    Way to go, Lex Luthor. In a town of 130,000 people, you stole a license plate with an expired registration sticker.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's some really good advice, right there.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Ding ding ding ding ding. Speaking generally, if an insurer goes KBB on you and totals an 8-year-old car, you could be looking at your next car being a lot worse than your last one. This is in part why comprehensive insurance isn't always worth the cost.

Draft saved Draft deleted