1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My wife is going vegan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by azom, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've always wondered ... what do vegans/vegetarians/environmentalists want to do with the cows we save by not eating them? I've never heard a sensible answer to that question.

They have no natural habitat we're disturbing, they're domesticated animals, it's not as if you can let them run out in the wild, something will eat them.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have friends who are vegetarians for environmental reasons, too. The problem is that they eat so much cheese and regular pasta and bread that they both have sky-high cholesterol and one has developed hypertension. The doctor has told them to cut back on cheese, eat more low fat stuff and to seriously consider adding some lean protein, like chicken or beef to their diets or they'll have to go on cholesterol lowering meds. Seems kinda crazy to me to sacrifice your health that way.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Have you ever seen a healthy-looking vegetarian? They look like shit! They're all gaunt and yellow. After a while, their bodies become intolerant of other things. I'll give you an example.

I was out to lunch with a comedian friend of mine, and later in the day he said and I quote, "I feel nauseous and I have a headache. That soup I had must have had beef broth in it."

Your system's kickin back broth? You're a manly man, aren't you?

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I had grilled marinated rabbit for lunch, with some pasta and a beef-tomato sauce heavy on the beef.

Yum.

Weeds and tofu are good. I'll take something that flies, crawls or swims, too.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Isn't Amy Winehouse a vegetarian?

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Vincent: Want some bacon?
    Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
    Vincent: Are you Jewish?
    Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
    Vincent: Why not?
    Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
    Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
    Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got enough sense enough to disregard its own faeces.
    Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
    Jules: I don't eat dog either.
    Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
    Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
    Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
    Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charmin' motherfuckin' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

A healthy vegetarian, a very healthy vegetarian, and one of the my favorite males in Hollywood.

[​IMG]

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he looked like hell before that spider bit him.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I thought he looked damned good then too, course I like my men scrawny too.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did you see the op-ed in the NY Times encouraging environmentalists to start hunting?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/14/opinion/14rinella.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

On a sunny day, plants cast shadows. So what does that leave?

Draft saved Draft deleted