1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My wife is going vegan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by azom, Dec 19, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Killer tofu!

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

At first glance I thought the headline said 'virgin.'

That would have been an interesting thread.

Carry on.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

On the tofu... there are stories out there pointing out that too much tofu is very very harmful for you.

There is a Korean restaurant nearby that does tofu soups, which are phenominal. That is about the only time I would choose to eat tofu.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have been a vegetarian for more than 14 years and have flirted with veganism for the last few years. I haven't had any dairy or egg for at least a half a year, so I guess I am officially vegan now. I also don't eat any soy, believe it or not, so it is none of those processed soy products that are made to emulate non-vegan foods for me. My diet basically consists of whole grains, every vegetable you can imagine, occasionally some fruit, but not a whole lot, nuts (raw almonds) sometimes as snacks and every kind of bean you can imagine. Everything I eat is pretty pure. A lot of whole wheat pasta and brown rice, mixed with vegetable and bean related things. I do almost all my cooking for myself. I cook with zero to no fat. Occasionally I will add a table spoon of olive oil to something, but I mostly rely on spices to get my flavor.

I am single, so it is easy for me to be this way. But even when I was pretty much living with someone else, it was OK, but only because food wasn't a big deal for either of us. I ate what I want and she ate what she wanted. And I'd never put any limits on her.

When I go out with friends, I never make myself the limiting party. The best example is that I took a friend from out of town to a steakhouse he wanted to try and watched him eat "steak for two." I have made my choices. I have no desire to try to change others. I can barely manage my own life. So when I go out with people, I go along for the ride, and I always figure something out without making it a big deal. Food just doesn't mean enough to me, I guess.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I suspect this is true, although if you are going to eat soy (which really is toxic) tofu is probably soy in its healthiest form (provided you don't get the super firm tofu and fry it up, because that stuff is laden in fat). What I think is harmful are the processed soy products. They destroy the bean, heat it, treat it with chemicals and bastardize it to turn it into other things. It's an amazing bean, in that it can be processed to take on the taste or texture of almost anything else. But all that processing can't be healthy. And there is the fact that soy boosts estrogen levels, which can bring on breast cancer in woman and isn't very healthy in men.

Everything with soy gets labeled as healthy, but if you look back, a lot of those studies were done by the industry, not independently. Before that, it was basically the cheap shit they fed to animals. It is cheap as hell to grow soy beans, and I suspect someone figured out from a marketing perspective that if they could convince people it is good for their health, they could take a cheap commodity, process it into tasty things and make good profit on the mark up. I just don't trust the whole thing. If you google it, you can read about some of the issues surrounding soy. I just avoid it entirely.

One thing to keep in mind if you are eating a lot of those processed soy products and thinking you are staying healthy... you are probably getting WAY MORE soy in your diet than you realize. Pick up other products you eat regularly and look at the label. Whether it is your spaghetti sauce or your peanut butter, I am willing to bet it has some soy derivative in it, such as soybean oil. If soy isn't the healthiest stuff around (and who knows?), people could be really screwing themselves unwittingly right now, because the stuff is in everything.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jules: Good. Looks like me an Vincent caught you boys at breakfast. Sorry about that. Whatcha havin'?
    Brett: Hamburgers.
    Jules: Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. What kind of hamburgers?
    Brett: Ch-cheeseburgers.
    Jules: No, no no, where'd you get 'em? McDonalds? Wendy's? Jack in the Box? Where?
    Brett: Big Kahuna Burger.
    Jules: Big Kahuna Burger. That's that Hawaiian burger joint. I hear they got some tasty burgers. I ain't never had one myself. How are they?
    Brett: They're good.
    Jules: Mind if I try one of yours? This is yours here, right?
    [Picks up burger and takes a bite]
    Jules: Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty burger. Vincent, ever have a Big Kahuna Burger?
    [Vincent shakes his head]
    Jules: Wanna bite? They're real tasty.
    Vincent: Ain't hungry.
    Jules: Well, if you like burgers give 'em a try sometime. I can't usually get 'em myself because my girlfriend's a vegitarian which pretty much makes me a vegitarian. But I do love the taste of a good burger. Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?
    Brett: No.
    Jules: Tell 'em, Vincent.
    Vincent: A Royale with cheese.
    Jules: A Royale with cheese! You know why they call it that?
    Brett: Because of the metric system?
    Jules: Check out the big brain on Brett! You're a smart motherfucker. That's right. The metric system. What's in this?
    Brett: Sprite.
    Jules: Sprite, good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down?
    Brett: Go right ahead.
    Jules: Ah, hit the spot.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This is where I was going with it. The increase of estrogen is a big problem. As you point out, all of the studies were done by those that are pushing the product.

I will add, though, that some of the best tasting vegetarian food (mostly soy) is found in Buddhist temples. Oh man they are good. Everything there is vegetarian so the primary sale item is soup, but they have these great wraps. A soy shell stuffed with a bunch of vegetables with other soy that tastes like shrimp and pork.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Nice.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I had a friend that was vegetarian. He even told me it wasn't because meat was bad for you. "I'm a vegetarian because raising cattle is bad for the environment, with the cutting of rainforest for grazing land, and cow flatulence in the ozone and such.

He then asked me, what are you doing to help the environment?"

I said, "I'm eatin' the cow."

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Along those lines, my condolences on the death of your blow jobs Azom. :D

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's no wonder the average life expectancy has dropped so precipitously over the last several decades.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I suggest a good divorce lawyer.

Draft saved Draft deleted