1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My wife is going vegan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by azom, Dec 19, 2007.

1. azom

azom Member

Last week, my wife let me know that she will be going vegan for her New Year's resolution. It's not really a surprise -- she has been a vegetarian off and on for the last decade, including the past year-plus -- and I'm trying to support her the best I can.

For now, I won't be joining her in her vegan adventure. But, you know, it's like if she's a vegan, then at least when we eat together, I'm one, too. In the last month, we've tackled cheeseless/soy cheese pizza, vegan baking (brownies and muffins, mostly) and some vegan soups/chilis to help prepare. So far, it's been OK.

Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad apprehensive. I'm just wondering if any of you are vegan or have vegan spouses and if you have any vegan transition stories you can share to help put my mind at ease a bit.

2. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Well, my fiance isn't a vegan, but she is a vegetarian, but after a couple of good ol' roast beef sammiches from Hardee's, she's now re-joined the dark side.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You need to remind her to take calcium supplements and use protein powder. It's really hard to be vegan and female and get enough calcium/protein to keep your body working correctly. I was one for a while and really fucked my body up.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Congratulations. Your life is about to suck.

People will tell you that you can make all kinds of tasty vegan dishes. They're lying. You're in for a lot of flavorless food with strange textures.

A vegetarian I could deal with. I like vegetables. But no cheese, no butter, no eggs, nothing? Couldn't do it.

Good luck, man.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Guy in high school wanted to lose weight so he ate nothing but salads.
    He smelled funny.

6. sportschick

My hair started falling out. I'm a vegetarian (most of the time), and I just don't think it's all that healthy.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My girlfriend is a vegetarian and it does present some problems when we cook meals together. Basically I just try to make two different kinds of the same meal.
    For example when I make curry, I make a small pot of sauce with no meat in it and it works out. Or instead of buying a family size lasagna, I buy a vegetarian one and a meat-filled one that are made for less people.
    I'm sure it is different when you eat every meal together, but at least a couple of times a week you can cook for both rather than for just one.

Edit: I didn't realize there was a difference between vegan and vegetarian. Disregard my ideas about cooking the same, yet separate meals.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

There is a difference? Wow. Did not know that, either.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm a Level Four Vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why do you have to eat what she eats every time you eat together?

When you go out, she should be making a special effort to find places with regular food that serve things she can eat.

At home, well, that depends on who is cooking.

Marriage really is about compromise, and in this case you need to make sure she does some compromising.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Uhh, yeah.

Vegetarians don't eat meat.

Vegans don't eat any animal products. No dairy, no nothing. Which includes just about any processed food you can think of. Which is probably the only health benefit to that lifestyle. Otherwise, it's pretty freaking hard to get enough calcium and protein and whatnot.

12. sportschick

And your hair falls out!

And tofu tastes like shit, and you wind up eating a lot of tofu to get your protein. It's disgusting.

Draft saved Draft deleted