1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My tweet to Doug Ferguson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hondo should stick to being an idiot in (other pursuits). In sports, he's a triple idiot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But how many people give a damn about Adam Scott or the PGA?

If Brett Farve comes back with, let's say, the Dolphins and goes 13-24 on his first game against the Lions while Matthew Stafford throws for 400 yards and four touchdowns then Stafford is the story. Because people who turn to the sports page probably care about NFL football.

But most people who read the sports pages only care about Tiger and not the rest of the PGA. When Tiger leaves the scene the PGA is going to be followed as much as the Professional Bowlers Association.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I was ahead and I remain ahead. Like I said, if anyone thinks Fergie has gone over the top on Tiger, they have squat for brains when it comes to news judgement. Sorry if the truth hurts.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sorry, dude. You're wrong on this and I'm right. I've been in enough budget meetings to know the reaction when Fergie has a Tiger story or when Tiger is at a tournament. The stakes go up. You guys can pretend you know better but you don't. Tiger is news. Whatever he does on the golf course, good or bad, is news. TV ratings and reader interest prove it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The one that sticks in my mind was some tournament where Tiger missed the cut. I know it hasn't happened often, but the first 6-8 graphs of the stories that came out after the third and fourth round were about Tiger and the one after the final round didn't mention the winner until several graphs in.

As I said before, I thought he handled this week's ordeal perfectly, but in the past, he's been way over the top with the Tiger love.

6. Mizzougrad96

And don't get me wrong, Ferguson is an outstanding golf writer.

7. Mizzougrad96

This made me laugh...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. lobwedge

lobwedge New Member

It won't happen this week, but just imagine Tiger Woods and Adam Scott in the final group on a Sunday. I want to see that handshake on No. 18.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's hard to ever consider Stevie Williams as a sympathetic figure, but seriously, what was the guy supposed to do?

His employer quit working. He had to work, so he carried some other guys bag while his employer was not golfing. So Tiger fires him, and he gets another gig. What's he supposed to do?

If Tiger ever says anything to SW other than, "Have a nice day," Williams should just tell Tiger to drink a strong cup of STFU.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This does beg the question, however:

For how long, and with how much mediocrity, can this be the case?

In the spring of 2015, with Tiger on a six-year winless streak and coming back after taking a couple months off to rest those 40-year-old knees, is he still the lead? In 2020? When, exactly, does he simply become an alltime great who's hopelessly past his prime and not expected to contend? Happens to everyone, but will the air of hope and expectation linger over Tiger indefinitely?

I know he's the Easy Button. And sports media loves its Easy Button ("Hey, what's Favre up to?"). But it has to go deeper than "people are interested." Because "people are interested" in a lot of things that we don't put on Page 1. If Cameron Diaz loses her bikini top on South Beach, will people be interested in seeing the photo? Will you satisfy them by putting it on Page 1 (or anywhere in your publication or website)?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He can STFU and be grateful Tiger made him a multi millionaire.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Stevie probably thinks he made Tiger a multi-billionaire.

Draft saved Draft deleted