1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My tweet to Doug Ferguson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love ragging on Doug, but he handled this one perfectly.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's great news valuin' right there!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ferguson has gone way, way over the top with Woods before, but this is definitely not one of those times.

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

If "thanks for responding" counts as kicking it around a couple of times, then you definitely set him straight. Mission accomplished.

5. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

everybody at the local course today was talking about adam scott's performance yesterday. no they weren't.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Go out to the mall and ask 100 random people who Adam Scott is. I bet 10 at best know. Then ask who Tiger Woods is. I bet less than 10 DON'T know who he is. Tiger is a huge story this week given he's unquestionably the biggest name in golf and is finally returning to the game helped explode in popularity the last 15 years. In a month, that might not be the case but it's the biggest story in golf on Day 1 of the tournament.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And Scott's 62, by the way, was not that newsworthy in golf terms. It was on a par-70 course that was there for the taking in Round 1.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The issue isn't Tiger's golf. It's the comeback, or attempted comeback. It's the ongoing soap opera. And people who don't think that's the biggest story this week or next don't know flip about story judgement.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And I don't think Fergie has ever gone over the top on Tiger. He's done his job and written what every sports editor in the country wants.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Should have stopped while you were ahead.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah. I usually want to know what Tiger did, but not quite as much as Ferguson wants us to know what Tiger did.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Tiger should have been the lead, but let's not get too carried away here. What is he really returning from? Missing two months with a sore Achilles? BFD. It was one thing when he came back from sex rehab. That was a huge story. This? Just the latest in what I'm certain will be a long line of "This time, Tiger is back and as good as new!" stories we'll be reading for the next five years.

Draft saved Draft deleted