1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My tweet to Doug Ferguson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

how dare he write about the biggest story of the day. damn you doug ferguson!

2. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

Not that Doug Ferguson is perfect, but if he isn't the best national beat reporter in all of sports journalism, he's in the team picture. Of course Tiger is the story. That tweet was idiotic, ignorant or both.

3. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Par is 70. And HH sounds like a cross country parent.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

This was gold.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure AP requires its writers to get Tiger near the top if not in the lead. The bureau chief near us ALWAYS went out and followed Tiger for all 18 holes when he was in town.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I bet Adam Scott would make the first graph if he didn't wear the pink bow tie.

[​IMG]

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, Adam Scott WOULD have had to shoot 59 to usurp Woods in the lead. First round of a tournament. You almost never write the leader when you have a story like Woods. If Scott keeps playing well, everyone will have three days to write him.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I agree...when 39 guys shoot under par and you write about the guy that is six-shots back of the leader...something is wrong.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

It's not as cut-and-dried as a lot of you are making it. I posed the question to the other guy doing desk, and we both agreed that it would be a tough call. You can't downplay the significance of Tiger Woods returning to the game after a lengthy layoff. But you also shouldn't gloss over a guy shooting a 62, especially when he does it with Tiger's old caddy. Maybe find a way to get all the elements in the first two grafs.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

:|

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The tweet is dumb, but I can see the underlying argument both ways.

I sense that Woods' 68 plays a role in his being the obvious lede, but a 68, given the conditions, isn't all that impressive. If he shoots a 74 - which is about what 5 fairways and 12 greens ought to get you on a normal condition day - I'm not sure anybody rubs it in his face in the lede, do they?

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Not sure what part is dumber... Henry's tweet when clearly Tiger's the story, or Henry coming here to brag in hopes of gaining approval.

Draft saved Draft deleted