1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My turn to rant: Lousy SIDs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Aug 30, 2006.

1. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Felton is the best, no question.

Florida and Alabama are so bad they should be in a completely different category.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, it wasn't real hard to figure...

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Maybe before with Alabama, to be sure, but things are turning up -- so I am told, by my sources, in Tuscaloosa. Doug Walker, formerly of Notre Dame, Miami and other stops, is running the kind of ship SIDs should be modeled after. He is honest, gets back with your e-mails, takes phonecalls from egomaniac SEs who are filled with inane questions, and seems to be taking few prisoners on his own staff.

Big ups.

rb

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The game notes arrived at 5:12 MDT.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better spuds, the team I cover plays tomorrow and I didn't get game notes from either team. The SID is very good hooking me up with people, but he's very, very bad about getting notes out anytime before Friday of game week.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I don't feel better. I feel bad for you. But I also think if I hadn't been pestering him for the last couple of days, the game notes would still be another couple of days away.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A. Doug Walker is a good guy, one of my favorite SIDs ever.

B. Idaho, he sits there in his professional setting and screams at refs? Yet he's a good person? You are confusing me. Sounds like a complete douche bag. Good people don't do that shit.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The SID I could never figure out was in college. He was in charge of soccer and men's basketball. He was great in soccer, completely nice and accommodating in every way. But the minute hoops started, party was over. No access, no interviews, nothing so much as a hello on press row before a game. Basically he was taking the personality of his coaches in both sports, but I always hated that he didn't have his own spine.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lots of SIDs are that way.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

OK. Let me rephrase. To talk to and shoot the bull with, he's a nice enough guy.

Put his SID hat on and he becomes a douche.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

At my job, the only time I ever deal with college sports is when I'm writing a feature on a local kid. I always try to give the SID a week or two of lead time to set things up and get what I need. My pet peeve is when an SID takes a "take a number and wait in line" attitude about the little guys but bends over backwards when the New York Times or SI comes calling.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's the truth. Of course, their job security is often at the whim of the coach, so I suppose I can understand it.

Draft saved Draft deleted