1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My turn for computer issues...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jul 11, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have had two problems this week.
    The first I fixed: My 4 1/2 year old Inspiron 6000 would have the screen go from regular to battery mode for no reason. Figured out the power supply was going bad and used another one.
    The second popped up yesterday.
    On the right side of the screen, an inch or so in and an inch or so wide, there's a vertical band running the depth of the screen. You can still see the screen and what's on it, it's just fainter.
    I'm pretty sure it's not the video card; I took a screen shot to post here, copied it into as a photo and cropped it, and you can't see the light band. Just guessing, it's the LCD screen or the video cable. It hasn't changed in size or variance since it started doing it. Lookingat it through a lupe, it looks like half the nits just stopped working.
    Question for the class is, if the cable was going bad would it just cut out all or part of the screen or would it fade? Or does it mean the screen is about to go?

The laptop has been good and other than adding more memory and xp crashing so hard (in the last two weeks of my warranty) I had Dell replace the hard drive, I haven't had a problem. I know it's probably as old as I am in computer years, bit now is not the time I can sink $1,000-1,300 into a new laptop either.
    And if it is the screen, how tough is it to change on my own?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll bet Saban can fix it for you.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

he has no time for it.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

K, my guess is there is damage to the LCD screen. If the backlight on the LCD were going, you would get a reddish glow - especially when you turn it on, but not a line or stripe.

I've swapped out laptop screens - if you're replacing the screen only it can be a royal pain, especially if you don't know what you're doing. For the age your computer is, I would suggest either living with the stripe or find a new lid on eBay because installing the entire screen/lid assembly as one is much easier than taking the lid apart and installing a new LCD.

If you need more info, you know where to find me. :)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I just sent ya a note. Looks like damage to the LCD to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted