1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

my top 15 for now...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Nov 9, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

florida will beat florida state in tallahassee, will that make you feel better? south carolina plays at clemson. the season isn't over (but i forgot, they don't play those games in denver, so they don't count)

and i agree with the confernece title games as cash cow.

and you won't hear me say a peep about the pac 10 not having one. everyone plays everyone in that conference, so you don't have any chance to duck people like you do in the big 10

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nobody is asking you to.

All we ask is an acknowledgement --- which you provided --- that these games DO damage a conference's national title hopes.

Which is why saying "SEC teams don't win more national titles" is a ridiculous argument.

Statistics favor the house in Vegas, and they favor the Pac-10 and Big Ten with regard to national titles.

And with regard to "journalists" favoring the SEC . . .

What is the recognized TV voice of college football?

ABC/ESPN

What is the ONE conference whose national broadcast deal is NOT with ABC?

The SEC

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Threads like this make me realize the upside to living in a town where college football is an afterthought.
    These conference arguments are all air. There's not even a consensus as to whether having two really strong teams out of 10 to 12 is better than having five or six very good teams that beat the hell out of each other. As a fan, I'd rather follow conference B, but that's just my druthers.
    The issue posed by Rutgers is the threat it poses to the BCS structure according to its own rules. If the Knights run the table (they won't) they'd be an undefeated team from a BCS conference. Inside the system all conferences must be created equal, or what's the point of joining? Nothing could further the cause of a playoff more than an undefeated Rutgets kept out of the championship game by the polls, that is, by mere opinion.
    So that's just what I hope happens.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, an undefeated Auburn was kept out of the championship game by the polls, so I don't see the Rutgers situation as being any more egregious than that.

5. HoopsMcCann

ok, so i did a little homework about sec teams not playing out of confernece

sec is 6-6 against other bcs conferences
    big east is 11-7 (with just 8 teams, means they have to schedule more out-of-conference games -- kudos for them for not just loading up on the mac -- plus they've had success)
    acc is 4-7 (plus a loss to notre dame -- so that's 12 games vs. bcs schools -- just like the sec)
    big 12 -- 3-8 (11 games out of confernce against bcs teams? they don't play anybody!)
    pac 10 -- 6-6 (plus 0-2 vs. notre dame)
    big 10 (11) -- 6-4 (plus 1-3 vs notre dame)

your national champ? rutgers!

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Except the Sooners were also unbeaten that season, right? Unless you found some way to play a three-way game, someone was going to miss out on that game. With Rutgers this season, that wouldn't be the case.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And if Auburn would have gone, how could you say that one of the other two was not screwed? Only if you drink the SEC-is-God Kool-Aid.

8. HoopsMcCann

still waiting to hear how the "over-hyped" sec has "cost" a "worthy" team anything?

all we have as evidence you're giving us is a "worthy" sec team getting the shaft despite the "hype"

doesn't make sense

(and please, can we retire the kool-aid cliche?)

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You "might" not use "capitals" very often, but at least now we know you "do" know where the "shift" key is.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, I'm saying Auburn did not get screwed. The BCS ranked them third, and so they didn't get in the title game. Tough shit. And now you're just being intentionally obtuse With the image of SEC being some mighty entity, it can get away with a loss and not be whacked down in the main poll that counts in perception, the AP poll, because the media has consumed the SEC KOOL-AID. And because the Big East has not been considered as big a deal as the SEC, how the powerhouses in the conference are doing NOW gets short shrift. An SEC team that loses falls 3-4 spots. Louisville will drop more spots than that, and Rutgers will not climb as high as they should for beating the No. 3 team in the nation because of the perception that it's not the SEC, so it's crap.

11. HoopsMcCann

see, and here i thought it was because those who vote in the ap poll -- which has nothing to do with the bcs whatsoever -- dropped them lower than other teams because they have more quality wins. go figure. sure shows me

if it worked the way you seem to think it does, wouldn't auburn have been in the championship game a couple years back?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Computers don't factor that into it. Auburn had two things that at least gave it a chance that might never come to Rutgers this season -- program perception and conference perception, both of which tie into rankings.

Rutgers could beat teams ranked as high as Nos. 2 (West Virginia) and 3 (Louisville) in the nation this season and struggle to crack the top 10. The perception would be that because those teams lost to lesser-ranked opponents, they must not have been as good as people thought. Look at how far Whitlock dropped West Virginia last week or Louisville here. That's not a coincidence.

When SEC teams beats up on each other, the perception is that it's because the conference is loaded with quality teams. But when the Big East does the same, somehow the argument is that it's a sign of how weak the conference is.

I'm not sure whether that Big East perception comes from Miami leaving, Pitt making the BCS the next year or what. The perception is there, though, and it's a huge reason Rutgers will struggle to get the numbers to make that title game, even if it were to beat teams ranked as high as Nos. 2 and 3 in the nation this season. But if Auburn would have done the same this year and been unbeaten, no one would question it for a second, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted