1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My toilet is running . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Now to see if SC's plumbing story can hold a candle to 21's ...

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Do you have Bayer aspirin?

Well you'd better cover it up before it catches cold.

:D

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What I would give to have that one saved somewhere...the Midnight Plumber. My undying gratitude to you for remembering it. 8)

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Two years!?!? I'm guessing the water comes with your rent and you don't pay for it separately.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If I ever draw sportschick in Secret Santa1, I know what I'm sending her:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1Assuming I ever had time to sign up for SS, which deadlines while I'm in the middle of 50 million things at work. (Shaddup, IJAG! :D )

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

For the record, 2mcm, I can change the tiolet innards on my own, dammit!!!

I just figured I should ask my landlord first. Course the last time I asked, they came out, jiggled the handle and told me no work was needed. If they tell me that shit this time, I will pull the pink innards out myself.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ah ... a wench with a wrench. :D

(Tiolet?)

Pink innards? Sounds like a gutsy move ...

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I cannot spell toilet, generally.

I ran spell check this time :D

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I also called the supermarket, they still have Peter Pan in a jar. I asked them to let him out.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Something may be blocking the tank ball or stopper ... check there ... or it may help to put a tiny little bend in the float arm, because the apparatus may be misreading the water level.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

So I have a landlord/broken toilet story.
    I was 18 and living in my first apt. fresh from the college dorms. The place was rancid. It was clean, somewhat, but what made me think it was a good idea to move there, I have no idea. I was young and stupid, I suppose.
    Anyway,

The bedroom I was sleeping in was a glorified closet. My air mattress took up the entire room pretty much. On top of that, the indoor/outdoor wiring was a mess in a couple of places and almost every inside wall was either uneven or halfway put together.

Anyway, the landlord was this greek guy, a real slumlord in every way imaginable, looking back at it.
    After a few months, my toilet stopped flushing. I knew it had something to do with the chain, but I didn't know how to replace it.
    I called the landlord and he came to look at it.

So he gets there and I don't even think he looked under the lid before he said "Oigh. We need to replace this toilet that you broke. I don't want to replace it, but fuck, it's broke. Don't worry, I won't rip you off, we'll get a cheap toilet, I don't want to rip you off."

So we go to Home Depot and get a shitty toilet, literally. The broke one almost worked better than the new one; I think there was what looked to be the start of a crack right down the middle in the back, but he got it for $150 or something like that, I forget.

Anyway, here I am in the bathroom with my greek landlord who's swearing up and down in half-english, half-greek because he doens't know what the fuck he's doing and I don't know what's going on.

Finally I leave and come back in an hour or so and he gets it installed, barely. He tells me he's going to charge me for the toilet and $300 for "labor" even though only the chain was broken. I told him I didn't think I should pay for the entire toilet and this labor cost, but he said he'd give me a deal and only charge me $200 for labor, but he still was going to charge me.

So finally me and my dad go to his house and tell him we weren't paying for it.
    And I'll never forget what he said....
    It was pretty clear he was trying to scare us, and at one point he said,
    "The greek mafia has ties in this community, you don't want to cross us, we've got our way of doing things. You don't want to get on our bad side."
    We never saw the Greek mafia, if there was even one to begin with, because he shut up after we threatened to sue. No way he'd win any kind of suit with all the rental violations in the apartment. There was no way he could've been legally renting it.

I didn't stay there much longer, needless to say, but it was quite an eye-opening experience for a 18-year-old kid to go through.
    Now whenever I talk to my friends still living in the town where I went to school I joke with em to watch out for those Greeks, they're a force to be reckoned with :p

No one I know who's lived there or is still living there has ever heard of a Greek Mafia in town, nor any greek people, even. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but you'd think someone would at least hear about it if it was as "influential" as he claimed it was.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's probably the ballcock nut.

Draft saved Draft deleted