1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My strange sick days

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 25, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

LOL to TSP posting about getting sick in early February...IN LATE FEBRUARY!!! :D

This week is apparently my sick week. Last time I was sick (sore throat, fever) was the last week of last February. Had a scratchy throat Monday night, now I've got the sniffles, blocked eardrums and a little cough. Wheeeeeee.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I am always, always sick sometime between mid-January and mid-February. Going all the way back to the first grade.

This year, it started last Wednesday. Only just now am I getting rid of it.

BYH, for that scratchy throat, gargle some liquid Motrin. I swear to god, it helps ease the pain better than anything. Never believed it 'til I tried it myself.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

One sick day here in the last seven years.

Eh, I'll drop dead of a heart attack in no time.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's not pain by any stretch, and actually most of that is gone now, replaced by the sniffles and the generally stuffy feeling. Popping some Cold-Eeze (that shit rules) and hoping it runs its course in a couple days without turning into anything else.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, that's where I'm at now. Seems like everybody's got it, though. Half my family and half my coworkers, on different sides of the country. Ugh.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

November 1995. Amateur. (OK, I did go to college, but I worked the last two years there, too.)

Does make me wish my paper would convert the sick days to PTO, though.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I can't believe you guys never take a mental health sick day. Sometimes, it's just better not to go to work.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, I always seem to get an upper respiratory infection and/or bronchitis every January -- even when I'm somewhere that doesn't necessarily get cold.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I used to do that all the time, if they are going to give me sick time, I am going to use it.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Never called in sick. Do my four years working part-time college count though?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to work at a union paper that would give employees 12 sick days a year. In September or October of every year, the union steward would post a list of how many sick days each person had left.

The result was, employees would get pissed when they found out one guy had used 10 and they had only used two and we would see a lot of people calling in a lot over the last few months of the year.

It pissed a lot of people off.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or worse: Knowing that one guy used 10 and put down for two and you wonder how the hell management didnt call him on it ...

Draft saved Draft deleted