1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My strange sick days

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 25, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I rarely call in sick to work. Can't remember ever taking more than two sick days in a year. Usually it's one. And I get it out of the way early.

I called in sick to work about three weeks ago, on 2/5. Now, our schedule is archived on our intranet for the past two-plus years. I looked back and saw that I called in sick to work almost a year prior, on 2/7/08. And again the year before that, on 2/8/07.

Apparently I am allergic to early February.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Aren't all your days strange though?

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I always used to get sick the week after the Final Four/NCAA Championship. I think it had to do with the change of seasons and the time change. It's been a few years, but I always used to dread the tournament because of it (and not because I am a perennial loser in whatever pool I'm in.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Strange days have found us.
    Strange days have dragged us down.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I remember when I worked at jobs that gave me sick time.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I get five sick days in a row next week. I have to use all of them and I don't get paid!!!

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

My job doesn't see the need to give us sick days. You get sick, too bad lose a whole day's pay.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You must work for Gatehouse.

9. I've worked in the biz for over seven years, and have never called in sick. I need to, though.

My dad works for the state, and their sick time carries over. He's up to about 10 months in sick leave. He can use it to retire 10 months early or just take a huge check when he's ready to retire.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never called into work sick at any job since I began working on July 31, 2000. I had to switch shifts a couple times back in college, but the streak was intact.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I went 12 years before my first sick day. And I wasn't even sick -- my wife was so sick I had to stay home with her.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Friend of mine hasn't called in sick on any day of his 23 years working at his shop.

Brilliant editor, superb headline-writer, excellent storyteller as a designer. And a pure can-do pragmatist who NEVER complains about work.

The kicker?

Apparently, he was on the chopping block last year, before someone else took a late buyout.

All the while the place keeps loads of one-dimensional, Chardonnay sippers who are disgustingly arrogant while being just as tone deaf.

Draft saved Draft deleted