1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My state smells like ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My state smells like ... my appendix?

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Don't people north of San Francisco claim northern California starts at least in Marin County?

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Gilroy is in the Bay Area. It is the southern border of Santa Clara County which is still considered the Bay Area.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not gerrymandering at all. No one in California who knows where Merced, a caveat that eliminates 60-70 percent of the population, would consider Merced Northern California.

And there is no legitimate movement for creating two states, so that is not relevant.

My point is splitting California into Northern and Southern has no meaning. Kern, Inyo, etc. - they have nothing common with Los Angeles or Orange. There is no relevance for discussion.
    Likewise Merced and Stanislaus with San Francisco or Marin.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

OK, you have your opinions. I've lived in California for 65 years and Merced is in NoCal. And we're not talking what places have in common. Eureka has nothing in common with San Francisco. We're talking geography.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

They have the ocean and weed, but otherwise you are correct

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It depends which way the wind is blowing on how the small city where I work smells. One day, paper mill. The next, it could be an ethanol plant that makes you wish for the paper mill.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Half of Arkansas smells like paper mills. The other half smells like chicken shit.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You arbitrarily saying the state must be divided directly in half to determine regionality.

I'm saying it doesn't.

That is a difference of opinion but it isn't geography.

ChrisLong likes this.
  10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My town of a couple thousand is in farm country, so when the wind blows right (or wrong) it smells like farm animal shit.
    Understandably, the townsfolk don't really like it, and apparently there's some sort of organization out there trying to do something about it.
    They sent around fliers.
    The fliers asked us to note when we smelled the shit smell. They also asked us to note the type of shit (cow, chicken, pig, maybe some other choices).
    ....................maybe they have much more ...refined...senses of smell than I do. But man, to me, it just smells like shit. I have NO idea what type.

Batman and dixiehack like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If you get caught downwind of chicken houses in August, you'll long for the homey smell of a paper mill.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My in-laws will fight you if you try to call their area anything other than Central Jersey or The Shore. They absolutely do not want to be lumped in with either North Jersey or South Jersey, though particularly South Jersey.

Draft saved Draft deleted