1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Small Wal-Mart Victory

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 2, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

or folks that, in their car, will stalk you on your way to your car while you carry out your stuff, sit there and wait while you unload it, load up the kid, return the cart and hop back in. they sit and wait five minutes for your closer parking spot, blocking traffic that just happened to turn down that lane and now can't get out -- while they could have parked 25 feet down and been in the store in two.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I didn't read this entire thread (as usual), but I have to say:

Pete, I do that kind of shit too. Good work.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There are ZERO ways Rhody is like schieza, aside from both apparently being 'engaged.'

Zero.

4. Sheri

Sheri Member

I've been off Wal-Mart now for nearly three years. I had a few relapses, but have been totally clean now for over a year.

It's hard, in some ways, because I know the masses will never harness their consumer choice as a weapon with which to improve our collective future.

And it pisses me off. Immensely.

However, being accustomed to the failings of our species, I can have faith only in the far too long process of survival of the fittest.

And I don't know if anyone's been keeping track, but the only fit specimens I've ever seen at a Wal-Mart are the mannequins clad in Chinese sweatshop clothing.

That's my victory.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

About a year ago, had an issue with some shrew in the garden center about an item; the stockers had put them in a premarked box at 5.99 and the item was axctually 9.99. Not my problem.
    Checked out, got the price and the clerk called the department manager.
    The shrew came over and said that the price was 9.99. Well, I asked, why were there six items in the bin marked 5.99? Someone stocked them there.
    Not my problem. You have them in this bin, this is the price.
    Fine, she said. You do whatever you want.
    Way. Wrong. Answer.
    I snapped, said forget this and walked away.
    Went to the service desk and politely asked for the store manager. Now. (When I was polite, Ms. Slappy knew shit was going to hit the fan.)
    He came over and I told him my story and explained I have about 100 bucks worth of items in my cart in the garden center. You might want to send someone over to restock cause it has food and there is no way I'm spending a dime in this store today. He said, let me ring it at 5.99. I said too late. I will shop here again, because I really have no local choice. But there is no way I will spend money with you today.
    He asked how he could make it up to me, and I said there's no way you can. Your employee's attitude pissed me off so badly that if I thought I would get anywhere by going to corporate, I would. Thanked him for his time and walked out of the store (TIP; If I talk calmly and slowly, I'm really fucking pissed.)
    When last I saw the manager, he made a beeline for the garden center to find out what that was all about.
    Ms. Slappy found out later from a friend who works in the store that the shrew was on double secret probation anyway for her tude.

And sorry, ijag... but the day Walmart has enough checkout lanes open will be the first.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

In schieza's defnese, we are alike in many ways - working for same company, rock-hard abs (or lack thereof), disdain for sports parents and our company, and trying to figure out how to screw out company out of money.

Slappy - I liked the way you handled your situation.

7. imjustagirl

Where did I make that argument? I've waited in line 25 minutes before.

Guess I should have gone to the hardware department and pulled the guy off stocking shelves to ring up my groceries.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. imjustagirl

But that didn't say that there were plenty of checkout lines. I don't understand.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't remember pete saying the woman was stocking shelves. matter of fact, the way i read it, the woman was standing there doing nothing.

so yes, i guess it is asking too much to ask an employee who's getting paid to get off their dead ass and actually help out.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You know what? Screw all of you guys. I like waiting in line at Wal-Mart. It's free entertainment. What do you have to do that so important that you can't take five minutes out of your day to gawk at the freak show? That's right: Nothing. You stand there. You stare. And you like it.

Sam Walton gave his life so you could laugh at his patrons.

12. imjustagirl

It's not that it's asking too much, Tomas. And I'm not saying once she was approached she shouldn't have rung him up. Obviously she should have.

My beef is with Pete thinking that HIS things to do were more important than anyone else there, and how he decided to go out of his way to get taken care of regardless of any inconvenience it might have potentially caused any future customers at that counter.

The End.

Draft saved Draft deleted