1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Small Wal-Mart Victory

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 2, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What the hell is wrong with not wanting to stand in line? Who likes to do that? If there's an easier way, take it becuase it's not a matter of "I'm better than you." If anything it's a matter of "I'm SMARTER than you for not standing in line at a fucking Wal-Mart."

Your job as an employee with access to a register is to ring up customers and cheerfully take their money for YOUR STORE'S BENEFIT unless it's an explicit policy not to do so.

Dude's an asshole with a power drill in women's shoes? Tough shit. Punch the buttons, ask how his shopping experience was and take his money.

If that register is not to be used then it shouldn't be there. I've never seen signs or anything in Wal-Mart, Target or other stores saying "This register is for you WHERE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO PAY" and everything else is off limits for me to give them my money. Electronics usually is the main thing that must be paid for separately but even they will ring up other items.

You think Pete's an asshole? I would have done the same thing he did until the manager told the jewelry counter whorebag to ring up my stuff. THAT'S when I would have said, "Naaa, that's OK. I'll go to Target" and walked out.

And yes, they do care about one person leaving. Every time Wal-Mart's door opens and someone walks through they have figured it is worth X amount of money. Target probably is the same way. Leaving without them getting that X amount bothers them because you may tell two or three other people and they may not shop there. Wal-Mart wants to know why so you don't do it again.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bullshit.

Registers are at a store's jewelry counter because it's a security issue. You can't just hand over a piece of expensive jewelry and tell a customer to go pay at the checkout registers, where customers are directed to pay for their items. You take their money there, then hand over the jewelry. Then they can go continue their shopping or walk out of the store, without carrying around an expensive, easy-to-hide item that they didn't yet pay for.

And you don't see signs because it's SOP -- as well as CFC, common fucking courtesy -- to pay at the checkout area.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

"The" checkout area, or "a" checkout area?

If the store wants to maintain a semblance of sales figures in specific areas then it should post a policy sign at the register: "This register is for jewelry sales only." Or "This register is for electronics sales only."

Then there's no problem. You go stand in line at "the" so-called designated checkout area with all the other schlubs, waste your time because Wal-Mart has five registers open for 37 people and you know the bile rising isn't because Geraldine in Jewelry snubbed you arbitrarily.

Why is it common courtesy for anyone to waste time standing in line? When I've been in the grocery store and see someone at customer service, I'll ask if they can ring up my four or five items. They ALWAYS cheerfully do it, bag it, take my money and I'm on my way.

Common courtesy is opening or holding doors for people, saying "God bless you" if someone sneezes. Common courtesy is not spending 15 or 20 extra minutes in Wal-Mart simply because the jewelry counter woman didn't want to wring up five items.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

People who don't wait in lines are the same assholes who don't observe basic merging rules in a traffic jam - one from the left, one from the right, one from the left, one from the right. One guy thinks his time is more important and everything gets fucked because then another guy says 'Well, if he did it, I'm going to do it to.'
    Basic human decency is something I value. I abhor when people don't use it. I flashed my lights some guy who was waiting at a light to turn left and the car behind me took off right and could have caused an accident if the guy I flashed wasn't going so slow. When I'm in traffic, I veer my car into the breakdown lane so people cannot illegally use the lane to cut everyone else off.
    I hate when people cut lines at stores. Pete, it's great you made it out before the lady you were behind. Did you think about walking up to her and letting her know she could check out where you were?
    Karma. Be careful of it, because it is a bitch.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Refresh our memory, Rhody. You work with scheiza, right?

6. Rhody31

Yes.
    And sometimes some of the stuff he says makes me want to punch him in the mouth.
    He'll tell you that himself.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I love how you preach "basic human decency" Rhody, but have no problems with the jewelry counter employee
    a) slinking away when she sees me coming
    b) lying to my face in saying "we don't do that here you HAVE TO take it to the front and
    c) just flat out refusing to do (part of) the job she's paid to.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I was just wondering. You're more alike than you may realize.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Fair enough.

10. Rhody31

a) She knows what you're doing. She sees the look on your face. She thinks "He's not buying jewlry; he wants to cut everyone to get a better spot in line. What an ass"
    b) Perhaps she was told by a veteran co-worker she didn't have to ring people out unless they are buying jewlry. Can you, with 100 percent certainty, say she was lying? Did you ask? As we're taught in this business, if your mother tells you she loves you, find another source.
    c) Her biggest job is to sell and inform customers about jewelry. While she was ringing you out, people could have walked up to her and wanted to ask her about a ring that costs 500 bucks, but instead she was helping someone who thought their time was more important than someone elses.

You know, you could have done more for your cause if you waited in line. Perhaps a manager looks out, sees the line and puts another person or two on register. Then you would have saved yourself and others some time.

11. jps

jps Active Member

buck's right. I did a stint at w-m years and years ago. worked photo lab. and while we could and pretty much had to check out anyone that wanted to check out at our counter (minus food stuffs that needed to be weighed), it was incredibly annoying - to both us and the people waiting behind them that simply wanted to get their photos. our counter was set up to get photos in and out - there's no grocery treadmill there, no bagging area, etc. so when some jackhole with $2 worth of wallets wanted to check out there, along with their entire cart of shit, yeah, it sucked.

yes, pete, she shoulda done it. but she's in a shit job trying to live off what she can get at that place and maybe being an ass isn't the best way to go about things. give her a break. just stand in line for five minutes and read about the latest exploits of bat boy.

(and it isn't like we don't understand having to deal with something/someone we shouldn't or don't want to deal with. sometimes it's ok to give people a break.)

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The bigger issue is who goes to a freakin walmart and doesn't expect to stand in line at the checkout? You want lowest price around or customer service? Good luck finding both.

Draft saved Draft deleted