1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Small Wal-Mart Victory

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Sheri

Sheri Member

There's hope then, it seems.
    The CEO of Walmart* Canada recently did an interview and bascially said the pending recession only makes the entity stronger because people are forced to shop there when the economy goes to shit.
    He also said in an effort to ensure their prices are substantially lower than other shops, they'd be squeezing their suppliers in an even tighter stranglehold than usual.
    This is the kind of shit that 10 years ago, people just accused them of doing. Now, they can spout it off in a national newspaper and everyone flocks there anyway.

I guess, the bottom line, is that is all rests with the consumer, with the choices they make. I just wish I was from the planet Zacktar instead.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

To all those who said I was wrong to go to the jewelry counter:

I was in line at the same Wal-Mart yesterday. I was last in line. And lo and behold the jewelry department worker (a different one than when I had my disagreement) tapped me on the shoulder and said "I can ring you through at the jewelry counter if you'd like."

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And you smiled...

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, first I said to myself "I fucking knew it!" And then I thought "I gotta get to SportsJournalists.com."

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

That's why you have to get yourself a Blackberry and do it right there in the store.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually, i was more concerned with what happened to sheri and flowery hatred. think they ran off together?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, bringing this back from the dead.

I stopped at Walmart today to get some shampoo and conditioner. I was walking along the front, and stopped at the express lane, before I noticed the person two in front of me had about 30 things (another pet peeve). So I walked down toward the self-checkout line, where the four were already full and there were two waiting. I figured it would take about four minutes.

A manager walks past me as I walk and she says "You have one item?" and I say "Two, I'm fine." And she says, no joke, "Go to jewelry."

I laughed out loud, which made her look at me oddly.

I walked over to the self-checkout line and stood there and looked over at jewelry, and the manager waved me over. I felt stupid. I went and kind of apologized as I handed my two bottles over.

Then I laughed again on my way out of the store and thought of this thread. Though I was about 95 percent sure it was either 93Devil or outofplace who had done this. Sorry for slighting you, Pete. :D

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sheri, floweryhatred and Raisin Ham, we hardly knew ye.

9. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla New Member

Most compelling post in this entire thread.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think I know who Raisin Ham is now. If I am correct, I have reached the pinnacle of my life.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I miss Raisin Ham. He was at least usually at least a little funny, unlike most sock puppets.

Draft saved Draft deleted